Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Funnel question? >

Funnel question?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Funnel question?

Old 11-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Funnel question?

It's simple, think of it this way: You are hunting a 10 yd. wide woods patch that's about 20 yds. long that connects two big wood lots. That's what we're talking about
Old 11-09-2005, 11:39 AM

Anything that influences deer travel can be a funnel....... A creek crossing open fields.......... A thick ridge in open hardwoods........... A low spot in a river...... The end of a lake....... And many more.......
Old 11-09-2005, 11:42 AM

<----- beer pong world champion
Old 11-09-2005, 12:01 PM

OK I totally get how a deer funnel is defined and what one looks like, but it seems that everyone mentions it having something to do with a field. What if your hunting where there are no fields?? Just mountains and hardwood forest. That makes it alittle tougher to identify in my opinion you just have to stumble onto a spot where deer cant or wont travel on each side, but have a strip of flatland or cover or some kind of terrain to make them travel through th middle...right??
Old 11-09-2005, 12:49 PM

Read my post above
Old 11-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anything that changes deer movement and restricts it to one area. A hole in the fence, a saddle or a bench, a line of thickets in a open hardwood,a low depression, or creek bottom. I once hunted a line of pines that flanked an old logging road coming off a mountain in the middle of hardwoods. The deer poured down it at night prefering the cover of pines to the open woods.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:44 PM

the other way to look at it is, when deer get spooked or when hunting pressure is evident they will use a revine or a finger that juts out into a field to get from pt A to pt B...i am currently hunting a revine that connects to a finger (area of woods that juts out into a field) and you wouldnt believe the deer traffic commin up and down this area, hopefully thats been of some help