Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do u hunt a Funnel >

How do u hunt a Funnel

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do u hunt a Funnel

Old 10-31-2004, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How do u hunt a Funnel

What is a funnell and how do you hunt them?
Old 10-31-2004, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do u hunt a Funnel

How do u set up for bow shots and that kind of stuff?

Thanks,
Trap
Old 10-31-2004, 06:52 PM

A funnel is a natural or manmade object that persuades deer to travel the same place most of the time. Like between a pond and road, or finger of woods between swamps, etc. It could be a few strands of barb wire fence that has been knocked down between two posts when all the rest are strung tight. Even though deer can jump it, they mosy around through the easiest pass. My favorites is subdivisions being built near town! I'd try hunting them downwind near the narrowest location.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's an example of what one kind looks like from the air....the thick with the x is only about 200 yards wide of bush surrounded on both sides by open area's. almost like an hour glass where the woods narrow down .
Old 11-01-2004, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also try to think of the less obvious funnels. Jetblast had it right about breaks in fencelines. I have an old fence and plan on making strategic breaks in it so that the deer will hit them. Technically I should say I plan on repairing all the other breaks and leave two open. All the deer trails lead to existing breaks. Another overlooked, or unmentioned, funnel are ones that exist inside the woods. If you have hardwoods and inside those hardwoods is an understory of pines bucks will often travel inside the pines for cover. I've hunted fingers of pines that travel downhill inside hardwood forests and they're virtual highways! Even small depressions inside a mature forest get preferential treatment. There's a small "ditch" that goes down my property, maybe 3 feet deeper than surrounding ground level and the deer run up and down it regularly. Anything that affects deer travel patterns and restricts it to certain areas can be considered a funnel. Hunt on the downwind side of the narrowest area, or where you see intersecting trails.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

First you locate a funnel (start your search in a garagey area). Then you can sneak right up on it, they don't hear so well, and grab it by the neck. ..sorry it's been a long day with no chance of hunting this evening!