Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Funnel question? >

Funnel question?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Funnel question?

Old 11-09-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Funnel question?

I'm embarrassed to ask, but could someone explain what a funnel is and how to identify one. I know it's something to do with a deer trail, I would like to know how to find one.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Funnel question?

Imagine, if the woods you hunted were shaped like an hourglass, that is big woods on one end, big woods on another end, and a thinner strip of woods inbetween with fields on each side. The place where the big woods narrows down to the thinner strip is called a "funnel" because the deer will want to travel back and forth between the woods without going into the fields during daylight hours. This causes them to "funnel" through that narrow strip.
Look at aireal photos of your hunting area and you may find a couple, just to note not all hunting areas have funnels that are as noticible as the one I explained.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:30 AM

Thanks! That's a strategy I hadn't even considered before. I really appreciate it.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:34 AM

Funnel can also mean if your land has a large hill AKA ridge on it. There are ussaly spots where the land will sort of dip or meet with another hill and turn. This creates a funnel that water comes off the hill in when it rains hard. That is the easiest way to find them. Deer will use this path to move from one hill to another without walking out into a feld or just before they cross a field so they can check it out first.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:44 AM

hehe.... its a small v-shaped plastic thing with a hole in the bottom, connected to a tube. pour beer into it and lift over your head and slurp...sorry ...gulp gulp gulp.You do after the hunting day is over.

Do they still do that today...That was many many years ago...Just had to say it.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:47 AM

It's been a few years since I've "funnelled" beer myself. My buddy still has one in the garage.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:50 AM

problably used it to change oil in car by now...lol.. Ahhh the younger years...lol
Old 11-09-2005, 10:15 AM

The beer funnel you are talking about is stilled used a lot. Now days its called a beer bong.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:17 AM

we call it a 'beer bong'
Old 11-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

And beer pong someone has to know what im talking about..

Quick Reply: Funnel question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.