Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer activity in Ma. >

Deer activity in Ma.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer activity in Ma.

Old 11-08-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Deer activity in Ma.

Hey anyone else in here from Ma seeing much? Ive seen1 deer in the last 3 weeks, a little spike buck. Ive seen quite a few rubs here and there, not one scrape yet though. I live and hunt in Central ma.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer activity in Ma.

I know a guy who is one of those that never has time to hunt, although he has only to step into his back yard... He shot his bow maybe twice in 2 years that I know of, and has hardly even stepped into the woods. Well, for all my practicing and hours in the field, I have yet to see a shooter buck. He had 2 hours to kill this weekend and climbed a tree. He saw 2 does and what he called a huge 8. None close enough for a shot, but c'mon, this just isn't fair, lol... He's hunting in MA, forget the town. Its right next to Tiverton RI....
Old 11-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

I'm from central mass too and I haven't seen too much either. I've seen a doe and a skipper but they were out of range. Seems that the rut may be off to a slow start around here. Woods are full of acorns too. Good Luck Reeper
Old 11-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

i've been out just about every night.the first week i saw 13 deer.2 small bucks (not in range) and the rest does all within 20yrds or so.but no tag.since then crap ohlaaa.buck sign that was there hasnt been touched since.where the heck is the rutt???this is getting old
Old 11-08-2005, 08:42 PM

I am in West/central mass, one town east of Springfield. Bucks have been moving pretty good here. I shot a nice 6 point opening day. I have only been out a couple of times since but have seen a couple does and a button buck a few times. My buddies have had a couple of close encounters with bucks this last week despite the warm temps.

A good buddy of mine shot a 215 pound 9 point last year that scored mid 160's on this property. A guy saw him drag it out. He somehow got access to a neighboring property and cut my buddy off from where the deer usually came from. His son shot a 200+ pound 10 point that will score in the 150's last saturday from there. My buddy is bummed to say the least. They are around, just gotta work for em in this warm weather. I will be out Fri and Sat.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:25 PM

Ranger 10 , i hunt right in Hubbardston, grew up in Holden, whats your name?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

DeerReeper I grew up in Rutland..Went to Wachusett.. Did you? My name is Derek Liimatainen
Old 11-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

I have seen a few small bucks, and some does. Right now find the does and you will find the bucks.
Weather has kind of been a thorn right now, but looks good for friday and sat.
Good luck guys, keep at it. It will get better!
Old 11-10-2005, 12:25 PM

Ranger 10 , i dont know you but yes i did go there for a couple years. Well I hit it again this morning, was out there before first light. Hung in my stand til an hour after light. Then decided to go on foot, it was windy.I sat at the base of a treein an area that had alot of action last year. I wasnt there 10 min andended up seeing a spike nose to the ground 40-50 yards out, tried calling him in, he either didnt care or didnt hear it. then i saw him going back the other way about 50 yards out chasing a doe. Then 10 min later i see another doe coming from the same way the others did being trailed by a nice 8 point, i think i have one of his sheds from a last year. than another 10 min another doe came through. They crossed all about the same place but none would respond to my can or grunt. So i figured i would get a better seat, i moved within 20 yards from where they all crossed, hung for a half hour and had to get out, i think the show was over anyway. Ill get back out there again in a better spot within a couple days. All deer were trotting along like they were on a mission, they were hot. The rut is coming quick.