Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer Activity in KS right now? >

Deer Activity in KS right now?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Activity in KS right now?

Old 11-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer Activity in KS right now?

well i have 9 days until i fly out to eastern Kansas in hopes to get Mr. Big....i am wondering, for those that live there now, what have the deer been up to? I know it has been warm and little to no rain and or snow...are they rutting, is it over, etc?

i will be hunting the rifle season (nov. 29th-dec9th)......should i concentrate on food, should i attempt to call in any late breeders, ????

any advice would be appreciate....being a CA boy the only thing i know about hunting whitetails is from drury and will!!!

thanks,
JN
Old 11-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Activity in KS right now?

What kind of area are you hunting? With a Guide or Outfitter? Public or Private? The deer have been rutting pretty good for the past 2 weeks, from what i've seen. And i'm still seeing good activity, even though most of it should be over by the time rifle season comes around.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

hunting in zone 10 i believe. private land. 100 acre bean field and then about 60 acre of dense tree area. all private. no outfitter just cousins land........would rattling be beneficial or detrimental during this time?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say that rattling would be mostly ineffective at that late in the season. Not detrimental though. But you never know. Last year I watched 2 big bucks fight for 10 minutes, only 7 days before the gun opener. So there's a chance you might get the right buck in the right mood to come in.

If there is a lot of hunting pressure around you then sitting in the thick timber would probably be best. Otherwise, watching the bean field would be good epescially if it's cold & snow. Depends a lot on the spot and their patterns. Good Luck!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

It is supposed to be snowing tonight and tomorrow here in Nebraska and the rut actually ended here about two weeks ago. By then, you might be able to get some bucks to respond that are still out looking for some does in estrous. Calls didn't work at all for me right after the rut was over here. I would concentrate on the dense trees with a good overlook of the bean fields.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

great thanks guys...will be checking out those areas.....i was hoping to try out the buck roar..LOL...but, sitting and being quiet will work just fine for me too...