Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 E. Texas deer hunters: Deer activity? >

E. Texas deer hunters: Deer activity?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

E. Texas deer hunters: Deer activity?

Old 11-09-2005, 06:40 PM

Default E. Texas deer hunters: Deer activity?

I'm trying to find out about buck activity in East Texas/Marshall
area(Panola co., Carthage, Tx).

Any input would be much appreciated.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: E. Texas deer hunters: Deer activity?

I am in Nacogdoches, and in the past week and a half, deer activity on my place has come to a stand still. I have 600 acres that my brother, my sons, and I hunt on and had been getting 400+/- trail camera picturesper day, but the Friday before youth weekend, my pictures dropped to about 100 per day and have gradually continued to decline. My brother has seen the same decline on his cameras, and he has his on totally differentparts of our place. My brother, my youngest son, and I haveall killed a doe,and my youngest son killed an 8 point on youth weekend. We had been seeing3 really nice 10 points (120-130 class)andone 12 point that will score around 145-150. All I have seen in the last week is young spikes, 4 points, and 6 points. I hadbeenfeeding 300 lbs of corn a week, and the deer have almost totally quit the corn.
Mybrother and I have been pulling our hair out trying to figure out what is going on. I live a mile from our place and amon it every day. I have had my cameras outcontinually since May and have gotten pictures of these same deerall summer and fall. My only consolation is that my neighbor who hunts in another part of the county 25 miles from usis experiencing the same thing.Our place is surrounded by residential areas on 3 sides, and we have heard no shots from theneighbors. Where have our deer gone?
Old 11-09-2005, 07:43 PM

Does your place have a lot of acorns? That is what I am dealing
with right now. We have tons of deer sign, but I think most of
their movement is at night.

I am hoping that things will pick up when it gets cold.

Do deer take vacations? I think so!
Old 11-10-2005, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our acorn crop blew away with Hurricane Rita thats why corn has been working so well. I checked my cameras this morning and had 18 on one and 50 on the other. My brother checked his yesterday evening and had about 20. I had moved one of my cameras and thats where I got the 50 picture. I moved the other one this morning to a new corn pile that is in a spot where I had alot of activity last year, but we'll see. I was talking to my brother this morning about our "situation", and we just realized that we are not even getting hog or coon pictures at our corn. That is the craziest to me. We have had this place for 11 years, so we have a history here. We have seen some wierd things in previous seasons, but this is a new one.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:42 AM

I have been out in west hill country. . . .Menard co.

Too damn hot. . .not much going on so far. . .I hope that this is only a temporary condition.

A budy hunting out in San Saba co. reports much the same.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

I hunta littlenorthwest of Marshall, at Avinger. Opening weekend was really hot, with alot of wind. Saw a spike and an 8 pt, but couldn't get off safe shot at 8 pt. Only had one very small 6 pt and 2 does taken that weekend, between 8 hunters. Most of the time, nothing was seen. Really weird. Hoping the cool front coming will help.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

I have been dealing with the same thing, I think it is a combination of reasons. To hot, and hunting pressure has caused the deer to go nocturnal. Might be a good weekend with this cold front coming through. I think things will definitely pick up dramatically in the next two weeks or so. I hunt the hill country but I coach in Grand Saline andI discuss the same problems with many of my players/students. Hang in there fellas I think things will be good for us soon enough.

I was going to add the fact that all I have seen is younger bucks and does I think those brutes are the smart ones lay in the shade all day and come out all night. sat in my stand about an hour after dark and saw about four more deer come up well after darkbig bodies but could not tell what kind of racks. good luck to all and keep me posted I like to know how others in our great state are doing