Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Missouri Pre-rut >

Missouri Pre-rut

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Missouri Pre-rut

Old 11-02-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Missouri Pre-rut

Work's been slow and we hunted 2 places all week, This morning is the first sign we have seen on the rut here. The bigger buck was ready Like most (males) and she wasn't to interested (common). The more he sniffed the faster she would retreat. I did get a chance at a 6 and 8 point managed to empty my quiver ruin 6 retract's and missed every one.
Oh well maybe tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Missouri Pre-rut

Nice shooting. What's your secret?
Old 11-02-2005, 02:58 PM

I think its starting, but Tuesday morning here in SW MO, i had a 2 1/2 year old come in. I had a doe decoy up. Would not even turna nose up to her. The only way I could get him to come back in and pose for my video camera was by grunting and hitting the rattle bag a little. Then he came right back in, but still never paid attention to the doe. It was a tall but young 7 pt. His rack was has wide as his ears and above them about 5 inches. He only had 1/2" round antlers though. So he might be a little small in the jest of things,buthis scent glands were black as coal.

Not sure what to think. Maybe he just thought my doe was ugly.

Old 11-02-2005, 04:37 PM

I think it would bust loose if we could get some cooperation from the weather...[:@]

I took the week off work to chase bucks....77 today, 82 tomorrow, 80 friday.....WTF??? The woods are just finally starting to turn colors! I don't know what the heck is going on this year. There were more acorns, hickory nuts, and persimmons than I have ever seen, normally the trees are mostly void of leaves by now, and certainly isn't summer like weather.....this stinks!
Old 11-02-2005, 07:21 PM

Yea its definately tough out there with this weather. It's not going to be any better for rifle season I dont think unless a major cold front comes in and gets us some highs in the 40's. I'm starting to look forward to my thanksgiving weekend hunt I have planned. Should be nice and cool and maybe catch the end of the rut.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:17 PM

In N.E. MO it's a little cooler.....I've seen the smaller bucks chasing a few does for the last week and half.....two weeks. I stayed up at the farm for 9 days and came home to KC last Sunday......while I was up there, we had frost for a couple of mornings and the deer were really starting to move. Going back Friday, but it's a little warmer so we shall see.
Last Friday night, had a nice shooter - 12 pt.- come all the way across a big corn field chasing a doe. Came right to the back where I was.....doe made the turn under my stand and went out about 60 yards. He stopped at 12.....I just needed one more darn step to his right and he was mine.......he put his nose down and bolted after the doe....so much for that. Got my doe last Saturday and will be looking for some big boys this week end.
Good luck to all and safe hunting.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:32 PM

The frost last week was nice. I think that was really getting them going.

This week, on the other hand, has been down right balmy AND windy! (See the thread I just posted 10 minutes ago).
Old 11-03-2005, 12:04 PM

NW MO My neighbor saw a buck breed a doe Tuesday morning in the woods in back of our house. The suprising thing was that it was a 130 class 8 point and there is a 160 class 10 point in the same spot. Was this 8 point tough or lucky?