Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What you do before the shot! >

What you do before the shot!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What you do before the shot!

Old 11-02-2005, 09:28 AM

Default What you do before the shot!

This is going to probably seem silly to some, but I am interested in seeing of other people think like I do while getting ready for the shot. What steps do you take to prepare yourself. AS I have not taken a deer with a bow I can only imagine what I would. I have talked myself throught 1000 times already wile in the stand.

1. Draw
2. Good sight picture
3. Exhale slowly
4. Release smoothly
5. Listen for the arrrow to strike it target (is this the same as follow through?)
6. Watch and study route where animal takes.
7.Listen for sound of animal going down.
8. After animal is out of sight and hearing, try and find arrow. (While still in stand)
9. Try to stop the uncontrollable shaking.

Is there anything else you do? Just interested to seewhat others think.

Old 11-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What you do before the shot!

Well, since I already posted about the "Lucky Ten" point buck, everyone knows I am not an expert. BUT

When a buck gets in my shooting range:

- draw while the buck's head is behind a tree or turned away from me. At very least try to draw while he is moving.

- make sure anchor point is in the correct place.

- touch nose to bow string, and make sure peep sight and sights are lined up.

- find lung heart area in sights and aim appropriate yardage sight.

- breath in and exhale.

- lightly squeeze release trigger.

- listen for sound of hit or miss.

- watch deer's reaction to the shot. (Did he mule kick, hunch up, jump up in the air, or run off full blast?) This will help you determine where the deer is shot. (or missed)

- look for the arrow in the deer, or look for the wound on the deer. (the two doe I shot on Sunday, I could see the arrow hole and then the blood while the deer were still running, and I knew I had made good hits.)

- make a mental note of landmarks where the deer runs, especially the location of the deer when you shot, and the last location seeing the deer after the shot.

- stay STILL & QUIET! (I have had deer come running back past me, or stay within range after a shot. And you might get a chance at another shot if necessary) Plus you will better be able to here the deer as it runs off. Maybe you will hear it crash out of sight.

- sit down and breathe deeply, until legs stop shaking. Make a note of the time of the shot, and decide when to get down to start looking for the deer. (This all depends on where you hit the deer) I always wait a bare minimum of 30 -45 minutes before getting down. Even on deer I see fall "dead" in front of me.

- If you see the deer drop, and know its dead. I will sometimes do a little fist pump, "yaaahoo!!" (but not too loud.)

Old 11-02-2005, 11:03 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a good checklist. The first one I actually shot at went something like this I believe:
1. Holy crap that thing is close enough to shoot at
2. Draw the bow while shaking uncontrolably and trying to swallow your heart which is now beating in your mouth.
3.This thing is gonna hear my heart beating I better shoot.
4. Look through the peep site and as soon as all the pins are on the deer jerk the release with the uncontrolable shaking.
5. See the miss as you jerk your head to the side to watch and see if you hit it.
6. Sit down so you don't fall out of the tree as everything is going in and out of focus.
7. Try to figure out what the heck went wrong as you are still shaking uncontrolably and the world is still out of focus. Try to convince yourself you are just excited and your heart can't possibly have moved up your chest and into the back of your throat.

Hope you have better luck/control than I did but it was still one of my fondest memories, that first shot at a deer.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I know (see) an animal a I want to shoot coming, I immediately begin planning where I am going to stop him at. I will glance ahead and pick out where I think he is headed. I usually have a lot of this planned out before an animal even shows up....but still they can come from a surprise direction...This thought process usually only takes a split second.
Naturally without thinking I am locked onto my string loop and ready to draw once a shooter arrives.

Last, I just get tunnelvision and I don't get shaky or nervous. I don't know any other way to explain it other than someone could drop an automic bomb off over the next ridge and I would be oblivous toit when I am locked onto a critter and know I want to shoot him. I could never hear the crowds in H.S and College sports either, I havealways felt seperated from the rest of the world when I am focused on something. Ineverlook at a rack after the intitialobservation. Isimply focus on the critters vitals as he's moving waiting for him to walk where I want to stop him. I almost always draw when a critter's head is passingbehind a tree or bush or when he is looking away. I almost always grunt to stop them. I can hold my draw for minutes so I don't mind drawing early. Inever feel my bow when I draw on a buck. I think this is from adrenaline. I feellike my breathing stays slow and steady.

The animal presents the shot, I zone my pin in steady, hold my breath for a split second, I think???and trip the release trigger, then I think I exhale..I am not sure on this...though...

I always see my arrow hit/fly etc...My peep, site etc ...always are just right there...never a problem...It all happens so fast yet it seems like everything is in super-slow motion. After arrow flight...I am now examining where the arrow hits and exits if it does...I watch the animal react and run, I stay quiet and keep an eye on it. Ifthe buckgoes out of sight I hold motionless and listen carefully. Once I hear nothing and see nothing..I sit down and gather my emotions, usually thanking the Lord while replaying the entire shot sequence over and over in my mind.

I really get excited after I know the animal is down and done as I walk up on it. I feelelated upon finding him, knowing it's been a good hit and clean kill.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

the first thing i usually do is panic, followed by deep breathing, trying to stop the shakes & praying that the arrow somehow finds its way on its own because i have no control
Old 11-02-2005, 11:47 AM

Pick the spot you want to hit and tell myself its a DOE....LOL
Old 11-02-2005, 12:20 PM

See I knew this thread would be funny. A great learning exp. as well. I forgot to add, try and clean myself after I shoot at a big one. Then finish up with drying my eyes after I realize that my 190 class 12 pointer is really a 90 class 6 pointer.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stand for hours and wait for deer to appear.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Stare a hole in the spot I want the arrow to hit
Old 11-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know what it is but I always cut the biggest fart ever. Must sound like a aggressive grunt because 3 or 4 more huge bucks alway's seem to show up.

Quick Reply: What you do before the shot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.