Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 advice on finding land... >

advice on finding land...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

advice on finding land...

Old 10-31-2005, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default advice on finding land...

I'm sure it is like most areas, but I hunt in Wisconsin and the biggest struggle for a lot of hunters (including mysilf) is finding land to hunt on. There isn't a lot of Public land around my area, the closest is about a hour away. So I am wondering what is the best way to get permission to hunt some land withoutstepping on others toes. Obviously the best is to go up and knock on their door, but is there anything special you should say or do to help you get the permission your hoping for. As of now, I am limited to bowhunt about 4 fingers of woods, so any advice will be helpful. Thanks
Old 10-31-2005, 04:10 PM

Default RE: advice on finding land...

You said it, Go knock on some doors. One thing that has worked for me: When they respond that others have hunted in the past and caused problems, explain that you are a bowhunter and would be happy to help keep other peoplefrom trespassingand would be willing to help out around the place from time to time in exchange for the right to hunt. Its just like sales be ready to handle objections with a good reason why he should let you hunt...
Old 10-31-2005, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: advice on finding land...

Knock on the doors, be polite, ask for permission. If they give it to you guarantee you will always call before you go in. Always respect the owner and their property. If they turn you down, thank them politely for their time and explain you understand why they would not want people on their land and leave. A lot of times as you are walking back to your car, they will change their mind. But once again, always be respectful even to the landowner who flat out tells you "NO!" and "Get off my property." Usually someone has trespassed and shot livestock when you get that reply. By remaining polite and respectful, they will understand that not all hunters are buttheads.