Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Finding Hunting Land for Next Year >

Finding Hunting Land for Next Year

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Finding Hunting Land for Next Year

Old 01-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Spike

Default Finding Hunting Land for Next Year

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to find decent hunting land, either private or public? I have all but given up gun hunting because the public lands in my part of Kentucky are overun with idiots (story behind that coment - maybe some day).

I have asked every one I know if they have land or know anyone who does. I have gotten a couple of hits, but when going out to scout the land it is never what the owner thinks it is. One time I was creeping through the woods of the "great hunting land that no one ever hunts you are welcome to use" and a bunch of kids rode their bikes through. Then I found about a dozen stands further back.

Anyway, hunting seems to be becoming a rich man's sport. I can't afford to go out and buy 100 acres, leases aren't real common around here, and those that are offered have long been snatched up.

Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation, and if so, what are some methods to fix it?

Thanks,

PM
Old 01-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Finding Hunting Land for Next Year

PM, I usually hear about "Ol John's got 'bout 100 acres that nobody hunts." Then I go see Ol John. Sometimes I find the same thing you do, nobody hunts there, but 3 -4 stands up. So me and Ol John work something out to keep everyone else off his land. That usually means me working for Ol John and him keeping everyone off his land. May not be a good place the first year you have it to hunt, but the year after that and so on, it should get better!
Old 01-06-2004, 01:09 PM

I would allocate a few Saturdays this winter/spring to drive out in the country and knock on a few doors. Nebraska too has its share of gun hunters that are giving deer hunting a bad name.

For me I take a hunting partner along for the ride. We present ourselves as bowhunter only. If you get a "No" just ask if he recommends any other farmers in the area to ask and then be on your way. If you get a "Yes" make sure you get full details of where his land begins and ends. Some hunters volunteer services to help the farmer in some way.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:51 PM

I'm going to try to run an ad in the paper. At this time of the year some farmers have had it with the hunters that are now leasing their property and want other tenents. also going to knock on a few doors this winter. I've been told not to come out in the spring because they are too busy getting crops back in.