Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 need help finding land in maryland... >

need help finding land in maryland...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need help finding land in maryland...

Old 07-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default need help finding land in maryland...

Imoved to maryland a few months ago and dont have anywhere to hunt anyone here in maryland know good areas to hunt near the Frederick,Washington,and Carroll county areasto hunt. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jeremy.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: need help finding land...

Maryland is TUFF, Lots of leased property in MD.

Hatchet Jack
Old 07-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

22--be patient. There are alot of guys on here that hunt Maryland. Some of them hunt public land with success as well. I am sure one of them will give you some tips. Best of luck.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

thanks shadow just need a little guidance up here im kinda out of my element. not used to having to hunt public land. back home i had 4 private farms that i could hunt that was family owned.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

22--edit the subject of your post to read "need help finding land in MD"--I think you will have a host of guys that will give you a hand. Also, try the deer hunting forum and post the same thing. Best of luck bud.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

good idea. thanks shadow.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

22--just found this, not sure if it will help. Good guide and maps to public hunting in MD. Not sure if there are any military bases that you can hunt on, but sometimes those are alot better than just hunting pure public land.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/allwmabyregion.asp
Old 07-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

thanks shadow that helps alot.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Fork Horn

I'm from western Maryland, and have been looking for a lease for around 8 years now...good luck! This time last year, I was attending the police academy in Sykesville, MD, which is located in Carroll Co. That area is nothing but housing developments and soybean/corn fields, with a small strip of timber here and there. That being said, I did see some great bucks. During my stay, I realized that there was a piece of ground on the compound that was open for bowhunting. Through some research, I learned that this piece was called a "Cooperative Wildlife Management Area", as opposed to MD's standard WMA. There is also a second, and much larger CWMA just about 5 minutes from the compound. There is also a TON of CWMA bowhunting land around Liberty Reservoir. These CWMA's are not really publicized, and are sometimes not marked very well. Some have many rules specific for that area, so read carefully. Some get some pressure come the first week of November, some dont' get much pressure ever.

Check out... http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/wmacentral.asp

Look at them all, but be sure to check out Slacks CWMA, Huggs-Thomas WMA, Raincliffe CWMA, and Liberty Reservior CWMA. I'm familiar with these 4, know all hold deer, and saw a freaking giant in the area of Slacks and Raincliffe. Watched bucks chase does all day around these areas the first week of Nov. from the drivers training facility. It was killin' me!

Hope this helps!
Old 07-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Prettyboy and Liberty watersheds are BOW only.
I've hunted Prettyboy already and it's a nice piece of property and lots of room. It gets hunted pretty hard but you can find room to get away a bit and there are lots of deer in there.

Quick Reply: need help finding land in maryland...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.