Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bear Issue

Old 09-29-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Bear Issue

Just wondering if there is a way to get bear to leave an area without spooking the deer in that given area. I know the obvious answer to this but I don't have a bear tag. I went to one of my stands to not only find bear turds on the ground but he/she felt it neccesary to leave some in a crotch of the tree 2 feet below my ladder stand. I just hope I dont have a guest perched in my tree opening morning..... I guess we could share my coffee.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bear Issue

Bears are becomming a nussance all over the place. I had 3 come in lastnight at different times about 15 minutes a part, 2 cubs and a big ol sow, guessing right around 350-400lbs. Chances are youll never get the bears to leave unless you get someone in there with dogs, dogs can chase that bear cross country, not guarenteeing that they wont come back. Otherwise, once they have established a home, they tend to keep it. For your own protection, if leagal in your state I would concider carrying aside arm, no smaller that .44mag with custom bear loads. If you arent sure about a custom bear load, talk to someone who reloads pistol and handgun loads and see if they can make ya up some hot shells. Im not saying to use the gun to kill the bear, unless you have absolutelty no choice then do so. But if the bears are just being curious or eating your bait and posing no threat to youand they havent been spooked by you, just sit still and pay attention to their behavior if ma begins to start looking a little uneasy or comfortable she may want to check some things out, including your stand. Be still, unless you absolutely think your life is in danger, most of the times they may stand up on their hind feet to see what that spot is and take a whiff. Chances are thats all he orshe willdo. If by some chance when your climbing into or out of your stand, you may spook a cub and it may let oout a cry, BE ON GUARD!!!!!!ma's not too far away. I like to make as much noise as possible before entering thewoods and leaving the woods.Bears normally do not want to have any human interaction at all. We all have to start living with the fact that there are bears on our land, and most of this is because the logging companies are cutting down our State and County forests, so the bears have to go someplace where they feel secure. As for anytype of device or deterant to get rid of the bears, im not real sure if there is any thing you can get that wont spook the deer away. If you are baiting deer, I would recomend removing the bait, or moving the bait further away from your stand. This may be why you have bears. Good luck, do a search for bear deterants.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:58 AM
Dominant Buck

If the bear stays you may have to move , if I were a deer I sure wouldn't hang out where I found bear sheit .
Old 09-30-2005, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldnt worry too much, Unless the bear climbs the tree and craps on your seat.. LOL LMAO ROTFL [:-][:@][:'(][:-][&o]
Old 09-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Bears seem to have a habit of marking my bear stands. I always looked at it as a training lesson. Mom would shove the youngsters up the tree to show them that we were there. I guess she wanted to teach them that the big pile of food (when it was legal here in WA) wasn't free. This happened in virgin territory so it wasn't like they were familiar with stands and bear hunters.

This stand is located a good 20-25 feet in the air. Notice the bear claw marks on the cedar tree?
Old 09-30-2005, 07:53 PM

That was no bear that was me after some strawberry pancakes!lmao
Old 09-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have saw deer walk by me while sitting on my activebear bait. Black bears only occasionally take deer, I would not worry about it. Are you are worried the bear will scare the deer away? They won't unless you have serious black bear problem in that particular area. And here it is illegal to have any firearm in possesion while bowhunting. Just jab him in the eyes if he charges.Most likely will be a bluff charge anyway. Just back away slowly.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:14 AM

I think that you should make sure the bear dumps in the crotch of your tree before you consider it a problem ussie
Old 10-01-2005, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

YEah, I wouldn't worr too much. We have lots of bear where we are at (Iron County) and they visit our deer baits once in a while but they don't take deer very often. Like others said, unless you sit on something squishy, I wouldn't worry.