Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Please Help (Cam issue) >

Please Help (Cam issue)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Please Help (Cam issue)

Old 08-21-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Please Help (Cam issue)

Ok I have a question, cause ive gone everywhere, and i get some pretty mixed answers. Which is a better bow to have, the double cam, single cam or the 1.5 cam. does one last longer, is one easier to tune, With this i really just dont understand. The bow I am thinking about buying is the PSE Typhoon, but it is a single cam so is that bad??? Appriciate any advice here.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Please Help (Cam issue)

In my opinion there is not one cam that is the best. After all, if there was we'd all be shooting the same thing. There is nothing wrong with a single cam, in fact they are arguably the easiest to tune. I can't comment much on hybrid or dual cams as I've never had much experience with them. The exception being a '03 Hoyt Cybertec that I owned that had the 1.5 cam system. I really didn't own it long enough to have an issues with it.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

In my opinion there is not one cam that is the best.
Absolutely agree. To help you understand each cam design then realize that each cam design was basically created to help remedy some fault in the previous design. Single cams were brought out to eliminate the synchronization issues of dual cam bows. Hybrid cams were brought out to help deal with excessive string stretch on long single cam strings as well as nock travel issues. I guess we could lump the Binary cam system in there to some extent but it takes it a step further by in large part reducing the effect of limb fluctuations on nock travel as well as thecam synch. issues of dual cam bows.

Shoot as many bows as you can and pick the one that feels the most comfortable and shoots the most accurately for you.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Single cams....... there are no cam synchronization issues to deal with but a single cam has an optimum cam rotation. To get the most performance from a single cam it must rotate back to its resting point at a specific rate. A single cam also has an incredibly long string which leads to more string creep than any other cam system. I have seen single cam strings up to 1.5 inches longer than what the specs called for.

Dual cams......... They must be in synch with each other to get the most perfromance from your bow. Cams that are out of synch with each other will give very irradic arrow flight. However the plus is that the string is much much shorter than on a single cam thus it will not creep nearly as much and your nocking point will not change as much nor as rapidly.

Hybrid cams........ IMHO they do nothing to solve any problems with the other two designs and actually create another performance problem. Contrary to what the advertising tells you they do have cam synchronization issues just like a true dual cam and the two cams must be in time with each other or your performance will suffer. They add in another tuning issue to deal with which is that the string and cables are all three of different lengths. Where as the single and dual cam designs only had two different length string and cables the hybrid has three different length string and cables which leads to them creeping at different rates and throwing the timing of the cams off faster than a dual cam bow with equal length cables.

Basically all three require you to have access to a bow press of some kind in order to keep the bow performing at its peak. A single cam bow really benefits more than the other two designs by purchasing a no creep string and cable set such as winners choice.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:45 PM

Thanks guys, you have been a big help. All along i have been looking for the two cam or hybrid cam design, cause i thought it would give me less problems. The bow that i found i like the most was the PSE Typhoon. I have a pretty short draw length, and it seems to deliver the speed that i want. If there are any other suggestions please let me know. thanks again