Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 got my 1st shot on a turkey, & missed >

got my 1st shot on a turkey, & missed

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

got my 1st shot on a turkey, & missed

Old 09-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default got my 1st shot on a turkey, & missed

got out yesterday morning for the 1st time this year, didn't see a single deer, but watched several turkey enter my food plot. I was up in a tree stand, on top of a ridge next to the food plot. I decided to climb down and sneak to the edge of the treeline next to the food plot, where I counted 13 nice birds. 5 were hens, the rest were jakes with 6 to 9 inch beards, sitting on the far side of the food plot. after some coaxing, they started my way. but once they got to where they heard me, and didn't find a bird they got a little nervous and started back, by the time the last one stopped looking in my direction, I was able to draw and let one fly, and missed. It was almost 45 yards out, and a little beyond my comfort range, but gave it a try anyway. It was pretty exciting. later I set my pop up blind in the same spot. Hope to get another crack at them again. Tomorrow am is suppose to be 42 degrees, so hopefully the deer will be moving. good luck to all!
Old 09-28-2005, 06:18 PM

Default RE: got my 1st shot on a turkey, & missed

turkys are a hard target.small and quick.my wife has taken 3 gobblers with her bow and I have taken 2 with mine.

better luck with the popup.good luck.

wish we could get some of that cool weather.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

That's some jake with a 9" beard.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

well I have always been told that if theoutside tailfeathers are shorter than the center one's, then they are jakes. 4 of these birds had their tails fanned out, I asume to dry them out after the heavy morning dew, and all of them were roughly the same size birds, with almost identicle length beards. personally I don't think the length of beard determines if they are a tom or not.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

personally I don't think the length of beard determines if they are a tom or not.
Nope. It could be a bearded hen. I've been fortunate to take four turkeys with the bow while deer hunting over the last few years; I know how fun and challenging they can be.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mastevt

well I have always been told that if theoutside tailfeathers are shorter than the center one's, then they are jakes. 4 of these birds had their tails fanned out, I asume to dry them out after the heavy morning dew, and all of them were roughly the same size birds, with almost identicle length beards. personally I don't think the length of beard determines if they are a tom or not.
Yes, I have heard the same thing. Just all of the jakes I've seen had pretty short beards.