Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many Hunters build treestands? >

How many Hunters build treestands?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I built treehouses
54.84%
I use only portable's
45.16%
I am afraid of heights and hunt from the ground
0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

How many Hunters build treestands?

Old 09-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How many Hunters build treestands?

Just wondering how many build, or use portables.

When I say build I am talking about using lumber, hammer and nails in a tree (treehouses_
Old 09-28-2005, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How many Hunters build treestands?

I build my own portables(welded steel) I also hunt from the ground a little!!!
Old 09-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Used to but they don't last and become dangerous and you can't control who gets in them when you're not there. I may build a shooting house on the edge of a field one day so that I can take my kids there and for my dad when he no longer wants to climb trees.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:24 AM

i build wooden ones and weld my own hang-ons, it saves a lot of money that way
Old 09-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always bought my own stands. But this year I think I'm going to try my hand at making one. Recently got myself a new Miller mig welder with the accessories for welding aluminum. I think I might first make one from steel and, if successful,see if I can make a lighter version using aluminum.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:26 AM

I build steel portables and ladders, probably overengineered, but I don't like wiggly
Old 09-28-2005, 09:30 AM

I am currently in the midst of building one here on my place that i know will be used year after year.but every where else I use portables.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

When we had private land to hunt we built tree houses and do occasionaly still build wood, ladder stands on some of the club property but that is about it.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeramyK

I've always bought my own stands. But this year I think I'm going to try my hand at making one. Recently got myself a new Miller mig welder with the accessories for welding aluminum. I think I might first make one from steel and, if successful,see if I can make a lighter version using aluminum.
I build mine out of 3/4 electrical conduit. You would be surprised how strong and light it is. I put one of them a foot off the ground in a tree. I could stand on the end of the platform like a diving board and jump up and down without any signs of failure.

Plus conduit is really cheap, but tricky to weld. It's round and galvanized!!
Old 09-28-2005, 09:47 AM

llinois Bowhuntin, thanks for the advice the other day. I took it and didn't see anything the other night but pretty sure I didn't spook anything either. Am excited to go out again sometime next week.

Anyway, I bought some of those Elevator brackets because they were on sale - $50 for 4 of them. I plan to use them to build a stand or stands next year.

Not sure if I will build two sturdy ladder stands or one comfier tower stand. Does anyone have experience with using tower stands for bowhunting? I mean I plan to make a low railing or walls that will accomodate drawing the bow, but what are some other considerations if I go that route. We have our own property so I'd plan to put it alongbut not in the middle of a well-used doe travel route and plant simple, small food plots around it.

Quick Reply: How many Hunters build treestands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.