Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 u shot, you missed, what would you do next? >

u shot, you missed, what would you do next?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

u shot, you missed, what would you do next?

Old 11-17-2005, 07:12 PM

Default u shot, you missed, what would you do next?

Guys, I have a last question for today. Supposedyou saw a buck from your treestand,you shot andyou missed (you were sure about that), what would you do next?

1. Would you still be in the treestand and kept waiting for another victim? 2. Would you go down and pack your stuff and go to other places?
3. Would you go home and come back to the same spot next day?
4. Would you go home and never go back to that place for the next couple of days?
5. Other ideas?

I have no idea what to do in this case? By the way, this is my first hunting season, ever and I am desparate need your advice.
Thanks a lot
Old 11-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: u shot, you missed, what would you do next?

reload and shoot again first. sometimes deer hear the noise but it sounds like it's coming from everywhere. so don't just think you have just one shot. I would also stay there if i shot just once or if you've got hours before you decide to pack it up. i try stalking all the time and to be honest i come closer to killing deer sitting and i also see more deer too. good luck this year bro.

THE FOOT
Old 11-17-2005, 08:20 PM

6. Punch self in face
7. Drink shots of whisky
8. Repeat steps 6 & 7

Old 11-17-2005, 08:34 PM

Get back to camp and tell the guys "No that wasn't me shooting, I thought it was you guys" Then change the subject.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cut your own shirttail off?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:01 PM

I would keep hunting, you never know. Especially in my area during gun season. All the patterns change from the activity. Patterning and homework pays off during bow season, but once gun season starts you can pretty much throw it out the window.

Paul
Old 11-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reload and sit still,you never know.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:37 PM

if you are still hunting buy a dang range finder already and dont miss, and if you miss after that should you really still be hunting? come on if you cant hit with this much of a easy set up your likely to wound more then kill so stop hunting a do everyone a favor.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Spike

I would mentally mark the spot where the deer was standing when you shot, climb down and go to that spot and search very carefully for hair and blood to make absolutely sure you didn't hit it. Sometimes deer will do strange things when hit, including no reaction at all, and you owe it to the animal to make sure you really didn't hit it.
Once I was sure, I would probably get back on stand or move a few hundred yards away and continue to hunt. During the rut, you should be in the woods as much as possible... ya just never know!

WHen I got back to camp, or home I would take the first opportunity to shoot a few rounds at a target to make sure you didn't bump your scope. (some practicing wouldn't hurt either)!
Old 11-17-2005, 09:52 PM

EVERYONE has missed or will miss a deer in their hunting lifetime. Just put another round in the chamber and sit still. That buck may have been on the trail of a hot doe and be very anxious to resume his chase. I've seen hunters miss and the same deer come right back out a few minutes later. In fact, it happened just this weekend when my brother missed a buck. I don't think 2 minutes passed before they were back out. If we had gotten down and tromped through the brush, we would never have gotten a second look.

Quick Reply: u shot, you missed, what would you do next?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.