Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I shot and missed; would he be back next year? >

I shot and missed; would he be back next year?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I shot and missed; would he be back next year?

Old 12-12-2007, 10:15 AM

Default I shot and missed; would he be back next year?

Last Novemeber I took a shot at a buck from treestand and narrowly missed. (Of course, the buck got the scare of his life and immediately took off) My question is: next year, would he be still around in the area? Would he not have moved out entirely of the area? If he doesn't, would it be okay (or wise) to hang the treestand on the same spot or close? Please do elucidite.....
Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 PM

Default RE: I shot and missed; would he be back next year?

You never know. If you were near his core area, he might be back or he might set up somewhere else. He also could have been simply traveling through looking for does and has his core area in a different spot.

If the spot still has a lot of deer sign and is near doe family groups, you can't go wrong staying there. Eventuallya buck will come in and take over the area if another one deserts it.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:27 PM

IF YOU SAW A SCRAP OF HIS THEN THEYHE MIGHT COME BACK NEXT YEAR DURING THE RUT
Old 12-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt you could ever scare one off for more than a day or so.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

He may even be back this season! If he was not hit, all he knows is that a loud noise happened close by. I have seen deer not even run because they are unsure of where the noise came from. I've seen them come back the next day! Loud noises happen all the time. For all the deer knows, it may have been lightning!
You've got a better chance of seeing him today than by next season! After all, him and a bullet could meet up before then. All kinds of things could happen between now and next year!
Old 12-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Lubricious

I doubt you could ever scare one off for more than a day or so.
Bingo... Buddy of mine wounded a 10 point. It was back at his stand the next weekend.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:08 PM

Where I live at - if you tell someone that there is a big buck down there. Tomorrow there will be 13 truck loads of hunters - walking right past your stand to get it.

Even if the land is posted property.

Some people act like idiots when it comes to big bucks and deer hunting and cannot sleep as long as there is a deer in the woods.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

Where I live at - if you tell someone that there is a big buck down there. Tomorrow there will be 13 truck loads of hunters - walking right past your stand to get it.

Even if the land is posted property.

Some people act like idiots when it comes to big bucks and deer hunting and cannot sleep as long as there is a deer in the woods.

did i miss something or does this response have nothing to do with the question asked?

to answer the question, the deer will be back. i shota doethis year that was with another doe. right after i shot the first doe, thesecond doe hauled butt.the second doecame back within 5 minutes and walked up tothe first oneand smelled it. then she casually walked off while feeding.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

That deer had no idea what happened, unless he was hit. It is just another noise to him.

Last year I passed on a 10 pointer who was chaseing a doe,because a much larger deer came out of the woods to chase off the 10 pointer and the doe. Ishot at the larger deer while he was standing right next to the 10 pointer. To make a long story short. I ended up harvesting the 10 pointer 30 days after that incident.

That deer is still in your neck of the woods.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

I popped a shot off at a mature doe about 3pm one afternoon from my blind.....and missed. Next afternoon she came back about 4:30. Only thing was, when she came back she more cautious, looked and peeked a lot more and knew what the blind looks like with the window unzipped. They'll still come back, they'll just be a lot more aware.

Quick Reply: I shot and missed; would he be back next year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.