Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How to load a deer on a suv by yourself? >

How to load a deer on a suv by yourself?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to load a deer on a suv by yourself?

Old 09-28-2005, 01:56 PM
Spike

Default How to load a deer on a suv by yourself?

I have a chevy s-10 blazer and as I was hunting last night,I got to wondering how I would load a deer on the roof rack by myself.I dont have a trailer hitch for my tailgator so thats out and I am not going to spend the 100 bucks to get one for it.I usualy hunt with other people or within a easy driving distance to go and get somebody,but I am starting to hunt more and more by myself and farther away from anyone that could help me if I needed it.So how do you guys do it?I thought about getting a tarp and zip tying it to the luggage rack so I could pull the deer up and over from the other side of the truck with a couple of ropes so the tarp wouldact like a slippery surface,but that sounds like it wouldnt work that well.I am not worried about scratching the truck so dont let that stop you from telling me a secret loading option.I cant load the deer on the hood either because I drive 1 1/2 hours to where I am hunting.Thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 02:04 PM

Default RE: How to load a deer on a suv by yourself?

I drive an 88 s-10 blazer and heres what I do. I always carry a tarp during hunting season. when I kill one I place it on the tarp and try to wrap it up leaving the ends of the tarp on top so blood doesnt go everywhere. I then tie the tarp thru the holes and put in the back. That or get a truck and I cant afford one right yet.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:12 PM

Only sissys use an suv to haul deer.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

I HAVE A GRAND CHEROKEE AND THE BEST THING I DO IS GET A TARP BIG ENOUGH TO COVER THE INSIDE BACK AND SIDES OF THE VEHICLE SO YOU DONT GET ANY BLOOD ON THE CARPET AND JUST PUT THE DEER IN THE BACK OF THE VEHICLE. ITS A LOT EASIER THAN LUGGING ONE ON TO OF THE ROOF RACK
Old 09-28-2005, 02:13 PM

I would do that also, wrap it in a tarp or something and put it in the back of your blazer. IMO, there is nothing more disgusting than seeing a dead deer across the roof of a vehicle dripping blood down the sides. It makes all of us look bad. Try your best to wrap it up and put it in the cargo compartment in the back.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Whats wrong with a rear deer rack.Hooks right in your trailer hitch receiver
Old 09-28-2005, 02:27 PM

Brand new Acura MDX.

I lay an old blanket in the back of the car and then lay the blue plastictarp hanging 1/2 out of the back. Slide the deer along with the tarp into back of the vehicle.

The tarp has only been used for this purpose and after about 8 deer has no holes. The blanket is underneath just in case I spring a leak. Big deer are tough but I have always been able to get a whitetail into the back. I usually drive honme (40mins) with the windows open to cool and reduce the sent of the rutting buck.

good luck. I think the s-10 roof rack is not rated for a human and a deer at the same time.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:31 PM

never done this, but maybe you could buy a big (really big) tote of some kind and put the deer in there feet up and then it shouldn't leak in the back of your suv and it may make it easier to lift into the back. just a thought.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:40 PM

I'll chime in since nobody will answer your question. Get your deer to a tree with a low enough limb to throw a rope over. Tie 2 ropes around the head of the deer. Throw both ropes over the limb and tie one off to your SUV. Pull the deer about 6-8 ft off the ground. Get out and tie the loose rope to a tree to keep the deer suspended while you get in your SUV and take the slack out of that rope. Untie the rope from your SUV and pull the SUV to your suspended deer. From there you can manage to get it on your roof. Simple.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

My hunting buddy uses a plastic kids' swimming pool. He folds the seats flat in the back in his new SUV, and puts the deer in the pool. He somehow found a rectangularone that fits in the back, perfectly.

If you really want it on the roof, as noted above, just hang it from a tree, then back under it. Good suggestion - just watch that the rack doesn't scratch into your paintjob.

Quick Reply: How to load a deer on a suv by yourself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.