Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Harvesting vs Killing >

Harvesting vs Killing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Harvesting vs Killing

Old 09-27-2005, 03:11 PM

Default RE: Harvesting vs Killing

Yeah.....I have some mixed feelings on this topic. To "harvest" a deer makes it sound like deer are a crop, as bigbulls so eloquently pointed out. Also, it makes it less "personal" not sounding so "bad" as killing. I think technology has taken some of the seriousness of taking an animals life away. What I mean is this: It puts distance between the hunter and the hunted, making it less personal. By saying I "harvested" a deer makes it even less personal. I guess it somehow makes the person seem less responsible for the act. Taking an animals life should not be taken lightly. It is a God given right, but that doesn't mean it is a "sport."
But, on the other side of the coin, killing sounds a little brash. So, out of respect for the non hunting community, (note: I didn't say the ANTI hunting community) the term harvested is used. So, I can see both sides.

Now me, personally, I "Jacked one up", "Smoked one", "Let one hold it","Ventilated one","Vaporlocked", and just plain ole "Wasted" one. Hey, what can I say....I'm a redneck hillbily and darn proud of it. But, I have the greatest of respectfor the animal I am in pursuit of, and even morefor the one I"Gave a ride in my truck."
Old 09-27-2005, 03:28 PM

Well, gotta go with mobowhuntr on this one. Lots of respect for the animal, but it don't change what cha done by givin it a different name. In fact some of the more colorful euphimisms are actually more descriptive of the process. You can kill, harvest, jack 'em up, hammer 'em down, give him the dirt nap, whatever you want. Just as dead.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never use the word harvest,but that doesn't mean I wont be careful or more guarded or sensitive when discussing hunting with someone who is a non hunter.It is a matter of being considerate.I make adjustments in terminology based on the company I am in.If in some's eye's that makes me a wuss,then they are a person I wouldn't much care about any way.We don't bring the on the fencers to our side by being inconsiderate.Being inconsiderate just perpetuates a negative image that we should be trying to over come.
For those of you who live in extremely rural area's this may not be an issue,but for someone who lives closer to more populated area's it is.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:39 PM

The use of either or was dicussed on the political forum about 5 years ago. It got pretty heated.

I see it as either one being correct depending on the person and their involvement in game management.
If your are a person who does nothing to help manage game andall you do is hunt you are IMO more correct to say you just hunt and kill game as a result of your hunting activity.
If you are involved in game management such as Quality Deer Management you harvest deer with a goal on mind for the entire herd. You are managing or influencing the raising of deer using specific practices to achiever a goal whether it be size or numbers or ratios.
You do not have to be in the "business", run a deer farm or fenced in operation.
The deer being wild has no influence on the use of the word. You don't kill wild berries,you pick them and you are therefore harvesting them.
Either way you still have to kill the deer to harvest it.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:42 PM

I don't pick my nose.......I harvest boogers.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't pick my nose.......I harvest boogers.
That right there is funny. I don't care who you are.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:53 PM

Harvest, kill... We deal with this all the time when I talk to clients who want to by a steer to be killed... They use words like process, butcherand stuff like that but when we make the appointment it is always a kill date. The use of euphanizisms has never been one of my favorite practices.. Reminds me of the guy I knew in college who wouldn't eat a roast chicken because it looked like a chicken or the people who don't understand how I can kill what I grow and than eat it... Wouldn't have it any other way now that we do it this way.

Oh, by the way, when it comes to boogers, I practice catch and release[8D]
Old 09-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL
KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL
IT
Old 09-27-2005, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

MURDER MURDER MURDER MURDER MURDER MURDER MURDER
MURDER MURDER MURDER MURDER MURDER MURDER MURDER
IT
Old 09-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Yeah.....I have some mixed feelings on this topic. To "harvest" a deer makes it sound like deer are a crop, as bigbulls so eloquently pointed out. Also, it makes it less "personal" not sounding so "bad" as killing. I think technology has taken some of the seriousness of taking an animals life away. What I mean is this: It puts distance between the hunter and the hunted, making it less personal. By saying I "harvested" a deer makes it even less personal. I guess it somehow makes the person seem less responsible for the act. Taking an animals life should not be taken lightly. It is a God given right, but that doesn't mean it is a "sport."
But, on the other side of the coin, killing sounds a little brash. So, out of respect for the non hunting community, (note: I didn't say the ANTI hunting community) the term harvested is used. So, I can see both sides.

Now me, personally, I "Jacked one up", "Smoked one", "Let one hold it","Ventilated one","Vaporlocked", and just plain ole "Wasted" one. Hey, what can I say....I'm a redneck hillbily and darn proud of it. But, I have the greatest of respectfor the animal I am in pursuit of, and even morefor the one I"Gave a ride in my truck."
Mobo you said it differently but it make sense to me. Just another take from a true sportsman.

Quick Reply: Harvesting vs Killing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.