Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Harvesting vs Killing >

Harvesting vs Killing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Harvesting vs Killing

Old 09-27-2005, 02:14 PM

Default RE: Harvesting vs Killing

For me it depends on who I am talking to, if I'm talking to other hunters, I use kill, stuck, blasted, downed, whatever, when I'm around non-hunters it's a courtesy to use harvested or "took". It's like dropping an F-Bomb in front of your preacher or Grandma.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:15 PM

I just "harvested" a roach in my office. [8D]
Old 09-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

First I kill it! Then I harvest it[8D]
Old 09-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like it or not. When you end the life of something you are KILLING it. 'Harvesting' showsless disrespect imo. You categorizing it with corn and beans. Like it was never breathing or anything.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Dominant Buck

It's a rediculous smoke screen to appear politically correct. Even the guys on PTI were laughing about someone(maybe Larry Szonka) using the term. Their remarks, do they(the hunters) really think the antis are that stupid. Do they really think it makes it more politically correct. They thought it was an absurd use of the word and mentioned it insulted the intelligence of people. When I was in Vietnam I never once "Harvested" a dink, no matter how much nitrates I put on them. The use of harvest in NO way shows more or less respect for an animal.You kill them for petes sake. There isn't any way to sugar coat that. If you can't live with that you're in the wrong game. Calling it something else than what it is is foolishness. Why don't we call it "Inviting them to dinner". That makes more sense.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

KILL!!! KILL!!! KILL!!! THE ONLY PC I KNOW OF IS THE ONE I'M LOOKING AT RIGHT NOW.[:@]
Old 09-27-2005, 02:50 PM
New Sheriff

ORIGINAL: davidmil

It's a rediculous smoke screen to appear politically correct. Even the guys on PTI were laughing about someone(maybe Larry Szonka) using the term. Their remarks, do they(the hunters) really think the antis are that stupid. Do they really think it makes it more politically correct. They thought it was an absurd use of the word and mentioned it insulted the intelligence of people. When I was in Vietnam I never once "Harvested" a dink, no matter how much nitrates I put on them. The use of harvest in NO way shows more or less respect for an animal.You kill them for petes sake. There isn't any way to sugar coat that. If you can't live with that you're in the wrong game. Calling it something else than what it is is foolishness. Why don't we call it "Inviting them to dinner". That makes more sense.
Davidmil speaks for me.....

Scary, I know
Nontypical Buck

MQ1 - I couldn't have said it better if I tried.

Killing doesn't necessarily imply recovery and butchering, however, harvesting definately implies both.

Nontypical Buck

Glad to see the majority still have there feet on the ground!

Yes we kill them, pull there guts out, pull their skin off, cut them into peices, freeze them and eat them with our potatoes and gravy!

I cannot stand for people to water down the nuts and bolts of what a hunt consists of. Harvesting is for what grown in the garden IMO!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:56 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MQ1shooter

I understand where you're coming from. I think the difference lies in the attitude with which the act itself is carried out, and the intentions of what is to be done with the animal afterwards.

Case in point: I responded to a thread about a gentleman taking a raccoon earlier and said that I had been tempted to loose an arrow at one of those critters, especially when bordeom had sunk in, but had never done so because I couldn't bear the thought of wasting a broadhead on one. In reality, that's only a partial truth; the other reason I haven't done so is because I know I'll never gut it, take it home, clean it and eat it. To me, if I shot a raccoon (or any other such animal) it would be merely killing it because I never planned on using it to fortify my family with. I know there are those that love the taste of raccoon; that's not the point. The point is, I myself would never go to all the trouble with one. And, yes, I've tasted raccoon before. That's exactly why I wouldn't go to the trouble.

Deer, and other game animals, like that provide substenance for my family. Do I enjoy the act of hunting? Absolutely. Is the act born out of necessity to feed my family? No way. But -- I know that after I get to enjoy the thrill of the hunt, the animal will also serve a useful purpose later down the road. Hence, a sense of harvesting as opposed to merely killing.

Hope that helps.
Well stated. Killing is killing and calling it harvesting doesn't change anything. But IMO it can soften the impact to others who might not share your love of the outdoor sports. I personally don't kill anything I don't use so to blast a coon for the heck of it doesn't work for me. I enjoy taking game that is in season and what I want. I don't duck hunt and would never kill a duck to just do it. I have respect for all living things andenjoy hunting for the species that I hunt. I usually use the term harvest because in my opinion it gives more respect to the animal. But harvest does mean kill, got, bagged, dropped, blasted and any other term that sportsmen want to use. It is all the same.

Quick Reply: Harvesting vs Killing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.