Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Harvesting vs Killing >

Harvesting vs Killing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Harvesting vs Killing

Old 09-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Harvesting vs Killing

I don't mean to ruffel any feathers.......BUT............I have noticed that a lot of people on the board use the term "Harvest" when referring to killing a deer.

Why? Is it to be PC? I have never used the term myself and I have only heard it used by the "TV"hunter until I started spending some time here.

Doesn't it boil down to killing the animal? Why has it become sugar coated?

Old 09-27-2005, 01:14 PM

Default RE: Harvesting vs Killing

Imo"Harvest" shows more respect to the animal. I use both. I dont think it makes a difference witch one you use.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

whack'em, kill'em, harvest'em, Slice'em up like Jack the Ripper on speed.....They are just as dead.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I understand where you're coming from. I think the difference lies in the attitude with which the act itself is carried out, and the intentions of what is to be done with the animal afterwards.

Case in point: I responded to a thread about a gentleman taking a raccoon earlier and said that I had been tempted to loose an arrow at one of those critters, especially when bordeom had sunk in, but had never done so because I couldn't bear the thought of wasting a broadhead on one. In reality, that's only a partial truth; the other reason I haven't done so is because I know I'll never gut it, take it home, clean it and eat it. To me, if I shot a raccoon (or any other such animal) it would be merely killing it because I never planned on using it to fortify my family with. I know there are those that love the taste of raccoon; that's not the point. The point is, I myself would never go to all the trouble with one. And, yes, I've tasted raccoon before. That's exactly why I wouldn't go to the trouble.

Deer, and other game animals, like that provide substenance for my family. Do I enjoy the act of hunting? Absolutely. Is the act born out of necessity to feed my family? No way. But -- I know that after I get to enjoy the thrill of the hunt, the animal will also serve a useful purpose later down the road. Hence, a sense of harvesting as opposed to merely killing.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is what the dictionary defines harvest as........

1. The season for gathering in agricultural crops
2. The act or process of gathering in crops
3. A mature crop
4. An accumulated store or productive result

A crop is defined as (as it relates here)

2. A plant or animal or plant or animal product that can be grown and harvested extensively for profit or subsistance.

So the way I see it is.........

If a person is raising deer specifically for profit, such as a high fence preserve, then the deer are harvested.

If a person is specifically raising deer for food such as on a farm, like cows or pigs, then the deer are harvested.

If a person goes and takes an animal from the wild that they kill that animal.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

or productive result
My point exactly.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:44 PM

I agree with bigbull 100%
Old 09-27-2005, 01:47 PM

when your thoughts are made public, it is wiser to be political correct these days..

someone once said I would rather be silent and though of as a fool, rather than open my mouth and remove all doubt...
Old 09-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO.....Using the word "harvest" is born from the need to make ones self feel less guilt over the act of taking an animals life. Only humans and anoccasional housedog with bladder dysfunction feel the emotion of guilt. The act of hunting is the second most natural act IMO. I think you know what the first is. People who buy their meat in a store KILLED the cow or pig or chicken just as much as I killed those deer. One should never feel any kind of guilt for participating in the natural order. The religion of HUNTING is perhaps the most pure of any that ever existed. As for choosing your words to show respect for the animal...deer do not speak english or any other human language....and dead deer don't hear either. Do what makes you feel better if you must, but do not feel the need to mince words to please any other person. If another person finds "killing" deer objectionable...they should check-out now because no human on earth can survive without killing some living thing.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use kill, shot or get, when talking about deer I've killed. Harvest will probably not be added to my vocabulary in that sense.

Quick Reply: Harvesting vs Killing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.