Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is this animal?  Game cam pic >

What is this animal? Game cam pic

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is this animal? Game cam pic

Old 09-27-2005, 09:52 PM

Default RE: What is this animal? Game cam pic

When looking at the photo, notice the salt/mineral lick in the fore ground just in front of the cat. On average a salt/mineral lick is no larger than a foot square. The cat is standing on the back side of it probably no more than two feet, this is a good indication of size so you could throw out the possibility that it could be a cougar. Looking at the photo of the cat if you look very closely you can see the back of the ear on the far side of the body, the top of the ear about 1/4 to 1/3 down from the top is black a distinguishing characteristic of bobcats. As was mentioned in a previous response tail length can vary, due to genetics. The reason that you cant see spots or any color patterns to the fur is do to the fact that the cat is in the shadows, and because the bobcat is still in its summer coat, commonly late November the coats will begin to turn and have more of a pattern. The summer coat of bobcats are usually a dull sandy or dull brown color. I am a wildlife biologist and no doubt in my mind that this is, and could only be a bobcat.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:36 AM

yah, at first glimpse youll notice the sleek sandy color, and rounded ears and the small tail gets you wondering, the tails fully out, its definatly a bob cat, i just photo cropped it and enlarged it, i tooko out the contrast and added light and could then see the square face and the ears were slightly pointed. its a bobcat
Old 10-03-2005, 01:32 PM

Rick james,it looks like a small mountain lion to me,look at the tail,ears and shoulders. vangunsmith
Old 10-03-2005, 01:34 PM

Look at its ears,its a LYNX,not a bobcat! there are also bigger than bobcat for the most part. vangunsmith
Old 10-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

Bobcats around here are not too much bigger than a large house cat! That one is huge, something strange about it though...I say a lynx also
Old 10-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

No Doubt, BOBCAT but a very large one. Just look at the ears!
Old 10-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

It lacks the curly cues on the ears of a bobcat. I'd really have to say it's a crossbreed. It really does have the face of a cougar. I don't know. Kill it and find out.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:31 AM

If anyone seriously thinks that is a mt. lion tail then I want you to look at me without clothes and tell my wife what she has been missing.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntsc

If anyone seriously thinks that is a mt. lion tail then I want you to look at me without clothes and tell my wife what she has been missing.
How about we stand side by side without any cloths on and let your wife see for herself what she has been missingJust kidding! that was to easy
BTW-I think it is a sabber tooth tiger[:-]
Old 10-08-2005, 09:43 AM

look everyone that thinks this is a bobcat is because of its black tips on its ears well.. cougars have all black on the backside of their ears and you cabt tell all of this animals ears because of the shade but look at this photo of this cougars ears

Quick Reply: What is this animal? Game cam pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.