Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is this animal?  Game cam pic >

What is this animal? Game cam pic

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is this animal? Game cam pic

Old 09-14-2005, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is this animal? Game cam pic

This thread is a great example of why NOT to believe someone when they say they have seen a cougar!
Old 09-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hope Dick doesn't mind me copying his reply here.......I asked this question on the PGC forum linking them to this discussion and here's a PA WCO's response.

"There is absolutely no doubt about what it is; it is a bobcat.

Dick Bodenhorn
WCO, Elk County "

Now of course we'll have some of the X-File PA guys who will say that Dick is only saying that to cover up his involvement in the PA Cougar stocking program.

Is this case closed enough for you guys?

Old 09-14-2005, 08:46 PM

I'm coming in a little late here and maybe someone else has posted the same observations, but I'll post anyway.

I'm a part time taxidermist, if there is such a thing, and I've mounted several bobcats and seen several in the wild. There is no doubt in my mind that we're looking at a bobcat.

Now I have never observed what I knew to be a mountain lion in the wild, but I have been around quite a few mounts and I do a lot of reference collection and reference observing.

Here are some things that make the picture a bobcat.

1 - I can make out obvious spotting on the inside of the far back leg, the belly. Midwestern bobcat seldom have the pronounced spotting you may find on, say, a bobcat in Texas.

2- The far ear is a dead give away with the white patch on the lower back of the ear and the black tips. The ears are at an angle that does not show the sterotypical tufts that could be seen if the ears were alert and at a perfect profile or front view to the camera.

3- No matter how much sidesway reasoning is used the tail is at the most 6 or 8" and has the usual bobcat upward curl and black tip. A mountain lions tail is as big as a man's wrist and almost as long as its body.

4- The sleek look is typical for a Midwest state that time of year. A late May animal does not have its full winter coat remaining, not to mention this cat is in full stride on the move which tends to make him look even more "lanky".

5 - Also, by comparison the white block apears to be a salt block and if my memory serves me right they are at the most 9" across. By comparing this to the cat the measurement from tip of nose to the base of tail would be 3.5 of the blocks giving a "nose to base of tail" measurement of 31.5".
McKenzie Taxidermy Supply has approximately 75 bobcat forms available that are sculpted to fit a variety of sizes. The nose to tail measurements range from 18" to 36" with the average being about 29 or 30".
Looking at the Mountain Lion forms the same measurement ranges from the shortest of 37" to 55".The average is probably 50". That does not include the tail that is at least 2/3 the length of the body and the size of my wrist.

6 - A mountain lion is one heck of a powerful animal and is capable of taking down adult deer. Their body is as deep as this bobcat is tall.

I'ts an honest mistake but you really have to want that picture to be a mountain lion or not have a good understanding of the differences between the two to come to any other conclusion than bobcat.

With all that said, I do believe some of the mountain lion reports are true. There have been several confirmed sightings throughout the midwest. Maybe they haven't been confirmed wild, but there are some here for sure. It shouldn't be that hard to believe that a large predator known for ranging far and wide, which is having its territory continually taken in the West, would range eastward following a huge food source (Whitetails). Although, the secret release by state agnecies is purely rumored nonsense. This just doesn't happen to be anything other than a bobcat.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

And Hobbes should know. Remember, he himself is a member of the feline community.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I TINK I TAW A PUDDY TAT.......I DID I ..DID TEE A PUDDY TAT
Old 09-19-2005, 01:32 PM

This thread will never end. And gut shot it looks more like a Mt. lion than a lynx but hey I know you're right cause you said so. Its a BOBCAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
Old 09-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

TURTLE YOU ARE RIGHT THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT>>>>>>SAFE HUNTING TO YA

IT ISABOBCAT.... THANKS FOR PUTTING ME ON MY FEET FLETCH920 . I cant thank you enuf...much respect to ya.. Good Hunts 2 Ya
Old 09-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Gutshot, you might take another look. The first photo is the one in question. The next photo(a lynx) is a reply to the post. I think if you look at the original post again you will see that the photo in question is unarguably a bobcat.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK... NEXT PHOTO PLEASE.....THIS HAS BEEN A BLAST FOLKS.. Ive Learned Alot...I thank all of you...sincerely......HEEZE
Old 09-25-2005, 08:58 PM

Rick, I live and hunt in the great ole state of Mississippi and you definitely have a bobcat there.
Shadowace, that first pic you posted is a Canadian lynx, fer sure. Note the long, lanky legs, the huge paws, and the exaggerated tufts of its ears.

Quick Reply: What is this animal? Game cam pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.