Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Using Pop-up Ground Blind >

Using Pop-up Ground Blind

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Using Pop-up Ground Blind

Old 09-05-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Using Pop-up Ground Blind

I unfortunately tore my ACL and will undergo an ACL reconstruction surgery Friday, a week before the Wisconsin bow opener. Wondering if anyone out there uses pop-up ground blinds for bowhunting and how deer react to them. I'll be limited to it for at least the first half of the season I figure. I know deer will react to it more so than hunting my usual 25 feet off the ground, just wondering if anyone has an information or tips on what to do. I won't be able to leave it up for the deer to get used to since I'm borrowing the blind and don't want it destroyed. Thanks for any tips.

Paul
Old 09-05-2005, 12:58 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Using Pop-up Ground Blind

Sorry about your injury, if you can or have some one else put it up for you as soon as possible, let them get used to it ,than you should be all right.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever you do dont leave your windows wide open. Deer do not tolerate the black hole effect. Also blend the blind in its surrounding. For example place under an overhanging branch. Any other questions feel free to ask.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

I used one last year and the verdict is still out. I actually got a turkey with one this spring but no deer yet. I did shoot at a doe last year and should have taken her but missed the shot. I had some does come in 3 or 4 times and they acted a little wary of the blind. I had mine brushed in fairly good but I think the more you can brush around it the better. I try to find some brush/trees with a space to tuck my blind into and then brush around it. Some of my friends have used the same one I have and said they had deer 5 yards away that didn't seem to have a clue. If you are going to set it up when you hunt I would clear the spot of rocks, leaves, twigs, etc. and also the ground around it where you will be setting up. Also, if you are setting up in brush or trees, trim low hanging branches and shooting lanes. I also get the brushing ready and leave it so its ready to use when I set up the blind. If you can take the blind out before you hunt and set it up you can get the area ready, fit the brush around it, and check your shooting lanes so you know what to expect when you hunt. You probably also want to get a bucket or fold-up stool. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

bummer that you have got hurt and have to go through so much right before huntin' season....i recently bought the HideOut...i haven't actually hunted out of it but have been using it when i practice shootin'....got it on sale for $88 plus tax...it's got a good size to it, it has a great camo on it so it blends in beautifully, and it sets up and takes down with a just a couple clicks....only downfall is that you have to make sure your bow is stickin' out the windows far enough...i ended up shootin' the zipper on one window...sounded like a gun went off....scared me half to death....but overall it's a great buy and can't wait to use it here in a few weeks.
good luck with your surgery.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have been using one as part of my hunting arsenal for several years now with relatively good succes...two does. In both cases I had the ground blind a bit brushed in...as mentioned above, under an overhanging branch and without all of the windows open otherwise you will get silhouetted.

Another tip would be to place it actually inside the woods and not just on the border of a field. Deer seem to tolerate it much better in that type of location.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:41 PM

I know everyone says that you need to hide your blind from the deer so that they'll tolerate it better, but so far that hasn't been the case with me. Tossed my blind out in the middle of an alfalfa field two days before season opener, just to see, and that very night there were 15 different deer milling about around it. Had several does walk right up to it and feed within a few feet from it.

Doesn't seem to bother them at all.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

It does help to put it up a few days before you plan to hunt, but not completely nessecary if you hide it good. Keep the bare minimum number of windows open and never open 2 windows directly across from each other, the deer can see right through. Brush it up as good as possible with limbs and leaves and any type of natural cover you can find around. If it has a black inner lining than wear black clothing to help hide you even more. I try to put mine up against a bunch of trees on one side of it to help break up the outline more. Good luck and hope your injury heals quickly.

Dave
Old 09-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

I have 2 & usually put them up at least a week before hunting from them. I noticed the open window seemed to make them nervous so I just leave them open all the time, even when not hunting so they got used to it. Once they accept it as part of their world it can be pretty awesome. I shot at one last year & missed, figuring I blew it. Well the deer walked right up to the tent looking at where the arrow hit a stone, not a clue I was there. I guess it might work to put it up & hunt that same day, its just not how I did it. I shot 6 from blinds last year. They work.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:38 PM

I have been thinking about buying one to set up in the bean fields around me to get closer to some of the bucks I am seeing and have no trees around.Also I will use it to hunt with my daughters.