Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Frustrated!!!

Old 08-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Frustrated!!!

My elk and deer season opens saturday and my bow is in pieces!! I had it ready to hunt and my Ironhead 125 heads were flying like darts. Sunday I was practicing and my cam bushing failed causing my cam to hit my limb. I replaced the bushing but the cam is canted now. I stripped the bow down again and one of the limbs seems to have a different bend than the other three!! I borrowed another XT200limb off of my buddies 3d setup and put it back together last night. Now I am getting a tailrightpaper tare that I can't get rid of. Any suggestions? I tried breaking the bow down and swapping limbs side to side and then end to end but no help. Ihave tried shafts ranging from 400spine toa stiff 340 with no difference in tear. There is now way I can adjust my rest far enough to takecare of the poor tear. Could I have bent my riser? Ihave never had these kinds of problems so close to a hunting season. I am not going in the woods with my equipment not up to par.Anything like this happen to any of you?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:55 AM

Default RE: Frustrated!!!

no
Old 08-23-2005, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Wow!Thanks for the well thought out response.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:27 AM

I'm guessing the XT200 is a split limb bow from your post. When the limb on my Browning cracked, they replaced only one and it shot like poop. I later learned that a lot of limbs are matched so I had both replaced and it shot much better. I think you may have to switch all four limbs to get it to shoot right. I don't know for certain but that's my guess.

Good luck getting it ready before season. I wouldn't hunt with it if I didn't feel confident with it.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

G2 Shooter I have no confidence in the setup as is. I have put it aside for the season and am setting up my buddies 3d setup to hunt with this afternoon. Luckally he and I have the same draw, I just need to tune it for me and heavier arrows. I am not sure I want to spend the money for new limbs being it is a 2001 Vortec. It has been a great bow up until sunday with normal wear and tear. I am running out of time.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

You may have a cam axle bent. Break it down and roll the axle on a piece of glass and look for wobble. Hoyt has a lifetime warrantee on there bows so you should be able to get it all fixed at your dealer. I know how it feels. I busted a bushing on my last bow at 6:00 P.M. the day before our opener a few years ago.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

I looked over the axle and checked for any damage, but didn't think to check to see if it was bent. Good call. I do have spare parts for my bow and will most likley have the limbs checked out, but they won't get done before my opener.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it was me I would break it back down get a 45 gallon hefty bag and put it in the trash and go out and by a new Mathews. This should take care of all of your problems and make you a happy hunter.Just kidding. I don't know what to tell you but I wouldn't head to the elk woods with this bow. Borrow one of Ralph's.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

That really sucks. I guess its always nice to have a buddy that can help you out. Hope everything turns out ok and you get things fixed in time.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

If it was me I would break it back down get a 45 gallon hefty bag and put it in the trash and go out and by a new Mathews. This should take care of all of your problems and make you a happy hunter.
Well said gutshot!!
ACLakey good luck with your setup, I think I would have a panic attack if that happened so close to my opener!![&:]