Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 tree stand hunting in idaho >

tree stand hunting in idaho

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tree stand hunting in idaho

Old 05-23-2005, 04:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default tree stand hunting in idaho

I was wondering how you all hunt out there in the west do you primaraly spot and stalk or tree stand it. i am planing on hunting mulies, elk, and whitetails. thanks for the help.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:39 AM
Spike

Default RE: tree stand hunting in idaho

mostly spot and stalk. when i lived in iowa (1942-1977 - 4 cause of duty to country) i used tree stands only. idaho makes iowa hunt look like a cake walk. trying to pattern big game here is truly a guessing game but oh the sound of an elk in sept. will keep you out of a tree for sure. you will have a great time out here, in fact you will most likely move out here once you get a taste of this kinda hunt. i did and have enjoyed every secound of it. course you have to have an understanding better half. bugling bull at 5 steps.....whoa nellie, a smile on your face 24-7
paul
post falls idaho
by way of toledo-tama Ia.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:14 AM

I spot and stalk. I'd be more sucessful if I didn't have an irrational fear of heights. Ground blinds are very good once I've patterned where the deer are moving. I'm in the Panhandle, results might vary down south where it's more open.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted solo for more than two weeks around the Sun Valley area for elk about '98 I think it was. Rough country, beautiful, but quite vertical if you catch my drift. If you wanted to sit down, you just leaned back.

It was brutal on the body, but a great experience overall. There is nothing like hunting elk in the rut...nothing! When your lungs seem like they are about to burst, your muscles are cramping, and the air is so thin you can't find enough of it, then you will remember how easy whitetail hunting was on the flat land.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:47 PM

Spot and stalk all the way. This can be a frustrating but fun way to hunt. Pay attention to your conditioning and your wind. You know your really hunting when you get a shot there. I have hunted both Northern and southern areas and with the exception of some Clearwater Whitetail areas, a tree stand won't give you results.