Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

yote hunting out of a tree stand?

Old 03-12-2005, 09:01 PM

Default yote hunting out of a tree stand?

I was just wondering if anyone out there has tried coyote hunting out of a deer tree stand? I am thinking that is you use a climbing tree stand. You could get high enough so you can see them before they see you. I was thinking about trying it with a electronic call and a movement decoy to keep their attention.
I would appreicate any feed back on this idea.
Thanks
Old 03-13-2005, 08:10 AM

Default RE: yote hunting out of a tree stand?

I dont spend eough time in one place to go thru the hassle of a treestand
Old 03-13-2005, 01:26 PM

As long as it was a climber and not a chain on. You should move your stand about every 30 mins. Remember if 1 dog shows up so will another.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:39 PM

Have to agree with trapperdave. I'm only at a stand for 30mins. or so. Don't need anything else to carry around, plus looking for the right tree to climb would take up too much of my hunting time. I like to get in and out quickly.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

I use tree stands that we use for deer hunting. We have some stands that we leave up all year so if im hunting in the area where the stands are, I use them.

I just started coyote hunting this year and have only called in 2 coyotes all year (and missed both of them!). Both were called in while calling from the same treestand. I dont think I would want to haul a climber around and use it for a half hour or so on a set up. It seems that it would be a pain. If you have access to or use a ladder stand or a permanent type stand, you should give it a try! Good Luck!!

MIKE
Old 03-14-2005, 06:00 PM

Remember if 1 dog shows up so will another
sorry but i just wanted to add that most of the time i will call in a single yote. once in a while i will call in two however don't wait for another one and take the first good shot you get

i have used stands that i hunt deer in and they work okay but i don't haul my climbing stands around just to much hassel.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted yotes out of tree stands several times ( up year round) .
I found that yotes look up !
And they know that it is a person in the tree.
I have had my best luck in stands that have walls to hide most movement.
Also it takes less noise to scare away a yote than a deer.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:10 PM

yeah i agree with the yote lookin up part ...have had MANY of em look up at me while on stand deer huntin .... altho i have killed a few while huntin deer .... seein em at a distance then squealin em in ..... id much rather hunt off the ground ..... i have done all my yote huntin with a scattergun and bow so i dont need to see em til they get close ...if i cant see them ...chances are they cant see me ..... also ... packin a stand around will get to ya real quick .... hookin branches while duckin thru thickets and attachin, climbin, etc could spook yotes nearby that ya might have killed if ya just slip in and grab a tree .... but til ya go out and try for yaself ya wont ever know which ya like the best .... give it a shot and see what happens .... experience is the best teacher .... dont be afraid to try out diff things .... see what works best for YOU ....good luck and have a good one
Old 03-15-2005, 10:16 AM

Ive never done any yote huntin from a tree but I'm eventually gonna try squirrel huntin from a treestand. There is a area on our lease that you can sit in the stand and take squirrels all day long.