Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 tree stand hunting >

tree stand hunting

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

tree stand hunting

Old 09-25-2007, 05:35 PM

Default tree stand hunting

I usually turkey hunt from ground level but today I went hunting from a tree stand for the first time. I had about a 12 yard shot on a nice doe but missed, went right under the belly, I'm pretty sure. Today I rechecked my sights and tuned them in again, pretty tight and accurate now. Now, the question; When shooting from a tree stand, should I be aiming a little high or could I chalk it up to my sights not being tuned in. Unfortunately I haven't really shot since the spring turkey season and its possible that my sights got knocked out of place, but I didn't miss that much. Just looking for a tip or rule-of-thumb for shooting from about 15ft in the air.
Thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tree stand hunting

Usualy as a rule of thumb you aim a couple inches low, especialy if the deer is really close. Also, shooting out of a stand is way different than off the ground, be sure and pay close attention to your form.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tree stand hunting

I aim 3" down, and that works for me. You'll have to try shooting your bow from the tree, to see how far you have to hold down on the deer. Every bow shoot different.