Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Broadheads

Old 07-07-2002, 10:14 PM

Default Broadheads

Has anyone used Game Trackers 100 Gr. First Cut Exp.'s on game. Also considering the 85 gr. Spitfire.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadheads

I have used the First Cut 125 expandable to take a nice buck. Obviously the 125 grain has a bigger cut than the 100 but I thought you could put this reply in the "For What Its Worth" Department.

I wouldn't consider the taking of one game animal to be any type of definitive work but one can certainly get an idea of performance. Shooting a moderate 60 pounds of kinetic energy the buck was hit on the left side from a distance of twenty yards. The shot took out both lungs but was not a complete pass through. It did punch a small hole on the opposite side where the tip came through but the expandable blades did not protrude. The buck ran off with the arrow but it fell out about twenty yards down the trail. The buck traveled about 100 yards before he expired and left an ok blood trail. By that I mean nothing spectacular but not bad either. I could follow it alright.

I think I would agree with 5 shots assessment of this head and rank it in the upper end of the middle class of mechanicals.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-08-2002, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not taken any animals with it but antlereater is right, it's about in the upper level of the middle of the road heads. It will get the job done, but I think their are much better choices. The Rocky Snypers are my first choice in a mechanical head, followed by the New archery products shockwaves. Either of those two heads will give you excellent preformance with a well tuned bow and good shot placement.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 07-08-2002, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the advise. How are the Spitfires, specifically the 85 gr. version?
Old 07-08-2002, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cam man, the spittfires are used by many many people every year to kill deer. I found they are a well made head, and the quality is first rate. My problem with them is that they are slower to open than heads that use rubber bands or O rings to keep the blades closed. In my opinon the Shockwaves heads made the newarchery products are a better choice all around, and cost about 10 bucks less per 3.

Old 07-27-2002, 03:13 PM

5 shot:
How would you rate Rocket's Steelhead 125 grn mechanicals?

We did an impromptu 3/4" plywood test, and it penetrated the furthest of about a dozen different broad heads, and showed the least amount of blade damage.

Haven't hunted with them yet though.

Hunt Alaska!
Old 07-27-2002, 06:46 PM

Thaninator the rocket Steelhead 125 is a good mechanical head & is one of the best I have tried out. out of the mechanicals I like the rocket steelhead 125, rocky mountain snyper, and the rocky mountain revolution the best. the only down side I have seen with the steelhead is that the blades are not that sharp, other than that they are a great head.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree the steel heads are very good. I found the blades the weak link. They are not as sharp as they should be, but they penetrate very well.