Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
broadheads so many choices >

broadheads so many choices

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

broadheads so many choices

Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default broadheads so many choices

Looking for new broadheads this year. I have never used mechanicals and thought this may be the year. Was considering Rage because thats all you hear about anymore. Also looking at G5 Tekans if i go the mechanical route. Seems like for every good review i read on each of these i read a bad review also. One person says they dropped deer in tracks and blood everywhere, next says they didnt open and never found deer.

Over the years i have used Thunderheads, American Broadhead Patriots, and Slick Trick Grizztricks. Tried the Slick Tricks last year,sharp as hell out of the pack. I shot a doe quartering away at 15 yards, knocked her on her ass. Tracked her for 200 yards bleeding pretty good and never found her. That never happened with my other fixed blades. That is why i considered changing this year.

What would you guys suggest, do i go mechanical and try one of the major brands, Rage,G5 or Shwackers. Or stay with fixed and give Slick Trick another try, maybe go with the magnums or something.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

I have been very interested in Epek broadheads lately. I have lost the ability to shoot compound bows and they don't make a broadhead for crossbows. I guess I won't get to try them. I am still interested in how well they work. If you try them ,post something on here so we can see what you think of them.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by standsleeper
I have been very interested in Epek broadheads lately. I have lost the ability to shoot compound bows and they don't make a broadhead for crossbows. I guess I won't get to try them. I am still interested in how well they work. If you try them ,post something on here so we can see what you think of them.
x2 i follow them on facebook. Im definitely switching next year! I haven't heard of them failing yet and i love the fact that you can target practice with them, then go hunting. i don't think the price is that ridiculous either. i guess i'll have to use my rage 2 blades for the rest of the season..
Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm curious as to why you never found the deer when hit with a Grizztrick. What is your bow set up? That would determine what BH would best suit you. I definately would not blame the BH. It was either improper arrow placement, not waiting long enough after the shot (or both), or inadequate penetration.
You have to remember the Grizztrick has a fairly flat cutting angle that takes a goodly amount of energy to penetrate and or pass through. If you hit bone or are shooting a light draw weight and a light arrow you may not have enough KE. Slick Trick products are excellent heads and fly true. If you have a light set up I would suggest using the Slick Trick Viper Trick. These have a more "traditional" blade angle and will give you good penetration. As for mechanicals, if you're not shooting the weight, don't go with too big a cutting BH. The bigger the cut the more KE you will need for equal pentration. I believe the Tekan or Tekan II would be an excellent choice as a mechanical.
Don't know if i like the tip on the Epek or the Rage Chisel tip. Seems like it would suck up too much energy at impact.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I'm curious as to why you never found the deer when hit with a Grizztrick. What is your bow set up? That would determine what BH would best suit you. I definately would not blame the BH. It was either improper arrow placement, not waiting long enough after the shot (or both), or inadequate penetration.
You have to remember the Grizztrick has a fairly flat cutting angle that takes a goodly amount of energy to penetrate and or pass through. If you hit bone or are shooting a light draw weight and a light arrow you may not have enough KE. Slick Trick products are excellent heads and fly true. If you have a light set up I would suggest using the Slick Trick Viper Trick. These have a more "traditional" blade angle and will give you good penetration. As for mechanicals, if you're not shooting the weight, don't go with too big a cutting BH. The bigger the cut the more KE you will need for equal pentration. I believe the Tekan or Tekan II would be an excellent choice as a mechanical.
Don't know if i like the tip on the Epek or the Rage Chisel tip. Seems like it would suck up too much energy at impact.
have you shot the Epek yet? i want to hear a review from a respectable member on this sight.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
My set up is a Hoyt Maxxis 31, 62 pounds, Goldtip Velocity XT 400's, 28 inch draw. Not sure what happened, she was quartering away, i aimed further back from the front shoulder because of the angle. She hit the ground hard when i hit her and got up a minute or so later and stumbled down over the bank. I did walk toward her and jump her up, she ran about 40 yards and disappeared. I left and came back the following morning. There was a lot of blood where i had shot her and i had a pretty good blood trail to follow. It went out through a flat and then turned and went up hill which blew my mind. I followed it up him through laurel bush to a large tree where she had bedded down. Lost the trail after that, spent the whole day looking. Not sure if i only clipped on lung or what with the angle. With the way she collapsed and the blood i thought for sure i would find her.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
have you shot the Epek yet? i want to hear a review from a respectable member on this sight.
No I haven't shot the Epek yet nor do I plan on it because like I said. I do not like the tip on it or the tip on the Rage new chisel tip. Reason is that I've hunted with the bow for over 45 years and I've seen gimmicks come and go. IMO That 'chisel tip' is nothing but an energy eater. If you hit the shoulder with that tip you better be shooting a heavy bow with a heavy arrow because it won't penetrate.
And I hope you didn't mean I am not a respectable member on this site!

Belted - using the Backcountry Bowhunting archery calculator your bow should be shooting 262 fps with KE of 63 ftlb. I am just asssuming your arrow weighs in around 420 gr. Your set up is almost identical to mine except I am just a few fps faster. I will stick to my original post and tell you that one of your best choices for a mechanical would be the G5 Tekan and for a fixed blade the Slick Trick Viper Trick. And the reason I say this is because the Tekan has a cut on contact head and plenty of cutting width. The ST Viper Trick is a super stong steel ferrule that is machined with a sharpened edge that is followed in line with sharp replaceable heads. I've used the Magnus Stinger for years with excellent results but because of the alum. ferrule I was always sure to use new ones for hunting as the ferrule had a tendancy to bend slightly under a lot of practice use. Unless you hit a rock with the Tekan or the ST, you're not going to bend it. The same can be said for the Epek also but I just don't like that tip.
As for the deer you didn't find. I sounds like you did your job placing the arrow where it needed to go. Problem was you followed her up too soon and jumped her. Normally, even on a perfect hit, I wait 5-10 mins then sneak out of my treestand and if my arrow is close, I double check it to confirm the hit. Then up to my vehicle where I have some coffee (or go get some coffee) then put my deer cart together and ease on down to find my prize. That is with a perfect shot. If I were to shoot too far back and hit liver or , God forbid, the guts or hit slightly forward and hit shouder and don't get the desired penetration I will wait a min of 4 hours before following. Gut shot not until the next day.
Remember the old saying: When in doubt - back out. And in any event, and I know its hard with the anticipation of claiming your deer, but wait at least 30 - 45 mins (use your watch) before following up. And when you do, go slooooowly and quietly and don't be too focused on the blood trail. Be sure to constantly watch ahead. Your deer may be lying there still alive but unaware of you.

Last edited by bronko22000; 10-05-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:46 AM
Typical Buck

I am sticking to Slick tricks but I took the advice mentioned on the slick trick website, the bigger the animal the smaller the head. I only shoot magnums now and have complete passthru's verytime. My waterbuck last year, at 500pounds got two broke ribs and went 40 yards. No crooked blades, or openig in flight because of a branch you hit.
Tough as nails these broadheads....
Frank
Old 10-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by m9a9g9i9c
I am sticking to Slick tricks but I took the advice mentioned on the slick trick website, the bigger the animal the smaller the head. I only shoot magnums now and have complete passthru's verytime. My waterbuck last year, at 500pounds got two broke ribs and went 40 yards. No crooked blades, or openig in flight because of a branch you hit.
Tough as nails these broadheads....
Frank
What is your set up Frank. Just curious.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Flint used to be the in thing years ago. Killed many deer.

I used Pucketts blood trailers over 20 yrs ago and got deer.

Find one ya like and can shoot good and then make a GOOD shot.

Ending in dead deer.

Last edited by Tundra10; 10-06-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.