HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - broadheads so many choices
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 01:16 PM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
have you shot the Epek yet? i want to hear a review from a respectable member on this sight.
No I haven't shot the Epek yet nor do I plan on it because like I said. I do not like the tip on it or the tip on the Rage new chisel tip. Reason is that I've hunted with the bow for over 45 years and I've seen gimmicks come and go. IMO That 'chisel tip' is nothing but an energy eater. If you hit the shoulder with that tip you better be shooting a heavy bow with a heavy arrow because it won't penetrate.
And I hope you didn't mean I am not a respectable member on this site!

Belted - using the Backcountry Bowhunting archery calculator your bow should be shooting 262 fps with KE of 63 ftlb. I am just asssuming your arrow weighs in around 420 gr. Your set up is almost identical to mine except I am just a few fps faster. I will stick to my original post and tell you that one of your best choices for a mechanical would be the G5 Tekan and for a fixed blade the Slick Trick Viper Trick. And the reason I say this is because the Tekan has a cut on contact head and plenty of cutting width. The ST Viper Trick is a super stong steel ferrule that is machined with a sharpened edge that is followed in line with sharp replaceable heads. I've used the Magnus Stinger for years with excellent results but because of the alum. ferrule I was always sure to use new ones for hunting as the ferrule had a tendancy to bend slightly under a lot of practice use. Unless you hit a rock with the Tekan or the ST, you're not going to bend it. The same can be said for the Epek also but I just don't like that tip.
As for the deer you didn't find. I sounds like you did your job placing the arrow where it needed to go. Problem was you followed her up too soon and jumped her. Normally, even on a perfect hit, I wait 5-10 mins then sneak out of my treestand and if my arrow is close, I double check it to confirm the hit. Then up to my vehicle where I have some coffee (or go get some coffee) then put my deer cart together and ease on down to find my prize. That is with a perfect shot. If I were to shoot too far back and hit liver or , God forbid, the guts or hit slightly forward and hit shouder and don't get the desired penetration I will wait a min of 4 hours before following. Gut shot not until the next day.
Remember the old saying: When in doubt - back out. And in any event, and I know its hard with the anticipation of claiming your deer, but wait at least 30 - 45 mins (use your watch) before following up. And when you do, go slooooowly and quietly and don't be too focused on the blood trail. Be sure to constantly watch ahead. Your deer may be lying there still alive but unaware of you.

Last edited by bronko22000; 10-05-2012 at 01:41 PM.