Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
broadheads so many choices >

broadheads so many choices

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

broadheads so many choices

Old 11-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Spike

Hehe. I feel your pain on the choices. There seems to be a "New and improved" one come down the pike with every wind change. For myself, I`m a hard headed old schooler. I started out many, many years ago on the broadhead trail. My first purchase was with an insert head broadhead. Never could get any dependable group out of them. The insert head approach was fairly new at the time. Being new to the sport I didn`t know one head from a cabbage. I wrote the company in question and stated my problem. I got a quick reply from the company explaining that this was the first run of these heads put on the market. They went on to say that they had became aware of the problem with the inserts not being stable and coming partially unseated enough to cause major flight probs. In a few days there was a delivery truck pulling up to my house. I knew that I hadn`t ordered anything and was confused for a bit. I tore into the box and it was an array of every broadhead that the company was producing and an apology letter. Impressive, but by this time I was snake bit. I didn`t trust the insert heads......any of them. The friend that got me into the sport, which was unheard of in our area at the time, used Bear Razorheads. That`s what I went with. That`s what I have stuck with all of these years. There is a good reason for that. they more than got the job done every single time. I ended up doing in my last Razorhead in the third day of this year`s season with my first kill of the year. According to Trophy Ridge, they quit producing Ole Fred`s finest in `06-07. I have to find some still on the shelves somewhere and restock or go the eBay route, etc. For right now, I have to hunt. LOL
Today I purchased some 125 Stingers. Very similar. I`ll give them a whirl at the range tomorrow until I can get my beloved Razorheads. Something pretty eye opening is the price increase. In my mountain of "bow stuff" collected down through the years that I have pack ratted, I ran across the package from a Razorhead purchase made back more years than I want to remember. A three pack, bought on clearance. The price tag reads......$4.00. My how things have changed.

Last edited by PSEslinger; 11-02-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

PSE - The Magnus Stingers are good flying BHs. I've taken 5 buck with them in the past 5 years and all died within sight. The farthest one went was about 80 yds. And everyone after being hit only ran 15 - 20 yds then started walking away. I can only imagine that it when through them so fast they may have thought they got stung by a be or something. Not really sure what happened to them. They just walk off, stop, stagger, and fall down.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have been watching a few testing broadheads going threw some steel barrels on you tube.. The best I have found so far is this one that was shot threw a barrel 5 times. Most on the other tests that I had watched never held up after the first shot.. Anyways for those interested here is the one shot 5 times.. I do not see very much to question on this one..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY8sBXT3JFk
Old 11-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
I have been watching a few testing broadheads going threw some steel barrels on you tube.. The best I have found so far is this one that was shot threw a barrel 5 times. Most on the other tests that I had watched never held up after the first shot.. Anyways for those interested here is the one shot 5 times.. I do not see very much to question on this one..
Dang Phil that is one tough BH! I don't think the blades are very sharp after that test though!
Old 11-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Like I mentioned in my post before, I was/am really impressed with the QAD Exodus. This past summer I spent the day shooting different broadheads into my rhinehart target and after just a few shots my slick tricks were dulling than dull. I shot the Exodus for a few hours and it still shaved the hair off my arm afterwards. By far the sharpest replaceable blade broadhead I have ever had and keeps its edge far longer also.

I shot this buck this year with one. He was quartering away and it entered at the last rib on one side and went out behind the shoulder on the opposite side, stuck in the ground 5 inches a few yards behind where he was standing. The buck looked around and just stood there. He then just walked real slow 10 yards away, tail flickered and he dropped right there. I pulled the arrow out of the ground and it is still hair shaving sharp.

Here is the buck.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Dang Phil that is one tough BH! I don't think the blades are very sharp after that test though!
Yeah, that was my opinion on it as well. A friend I have been working with showed a simular test using different broadheads. They all busted up pretty well after one shot. None of them went cpmpletely threw the barrel though. I showed him this test I stumbled on and you should of seen his draw drop. It was about like mine when I saw this for the first time. It still amazes me how it went threw once let alone 5 times..