HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - broadheads so many choices
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 PM
bronko22000
Boone & Crockett

I'm curious as to why you never found the deer when hit with a Grizztrick. What is your bow set up? That would determine what BH would best suit you. I definately would not blame the BH. It was either improper arrow placement, not waiting long enough after the shot (or both), or inadequate penetration.
You have to remember the Grizztrick has a fairly flat cutting angle that takes a goodly amount of energy to penetrate and or pass through. If you hit bone or are shooting a light draw weight and a light arrow you may not have enough KE. Slick Trick products are excellent heads and fly true. If you have a light set up I would suggest using the Slick Trick Viper Trick. These have a more "traditional" blade angle and will give you good penetration. As for mechanicals, if you're not shooting the weight, don't go with too big a cutting BH. The bigger the cut the more KE you will need for equal pentration. I believe the Tekan or Tekan II would be an excellent choice as a mechanical.
Don't know if i like the tip on the Epek or the Rage Chisel tip. Seems like it would suck up too much energy at impact.