HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - broadheads so many choices
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 AM
BeltedMag
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I'm curious as to why you never found the deer when hit with a Grizztrick. What is your bow set up? That would determine what BH would best suit you. I definately would not blame the BH. It was either improper arrow placement, not waiting long enough after the shot (or both), or inadequate penetration.
You have to remember the Grizztrick has a fairly flat cutting angle that takes a goodly amount of energy to penetrate and or pass through. If you hit bone or are shooting a light draw weight and a light arrow you may not have enough KE. Slick Trick products are excellent heads and fly true. If you have a light set up I would suggest using the Slick Trick Viper Trick. These have a more "traditional" blade angle and will give you good penetration. As for mechanicals, if you're not shooting the weight, don't go with too big a cutting BH. The bigger the cut the more KE you will need for equal pentration. I believe the Tekan or Tekan II would be an excellent choice as a mechanical.
Don't know if i like the tip on the Epek or the Rage Chisel tip. Seems like it would suck up too much energy at impact.
My set up is a Hoyt Maxxis 31, 62 pounds, Goldtip Velocity XT 400's, 28 inch draw. Not sure what happened, she was quartering away, i aimed further back from the front shoulder because of the angle. She hit the ground hard when i hit her and got up a minute or so later and stumbled down over the bank. I did walk toward her and jump her up, she ran about 40 yards and disappeared. I left and came back the following morning. There was a lot of blood where i had shot her and i had a pretty good blood trail to follow. It went out through a flat and then turned and went up hill which blew my mind. I followed it up him through laurel bush to a large tree where she had bedded down. Lost the trail after that, spent the whole day looking. Not sure if i only clipped on lung or what with the angle. With the way she collapsed and the blood i thought for sure i would find her.