Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

My feet freeze

Old 12-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: My feet freeze

Two sets of chemical foot warmers (one on top and one underneath) does the trick for me. Be careful walking in ,though, because your feet will sweat. These in a pair of pac boots will keep your feet warm anywhere.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:44 PM

Have you tried wearing a liner sock? You can get them at walmart in the hunting aisle. They are thin like a dress sock but wick away your sweat from your feet. These and some good wool socks and it will help. Another thing i have is boot insoles where you can slip footwarmers in.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...10000_500-10-1

These help a lot. Mix that combo with any decent boot and you should be good to go. And i dont put the insoles in til i am on my stand.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:50 AM

For hunting out of a stand, electric socks were one of the best investments I've made. Two D batteries keeps your feet mighty warm for about two days.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive had a pair of Rocky DeerStalker II'sfor 5-6 yrsthere 1600grm thin and I use them from -5 to 60 deg and have never been cold toe or foot,I wear a good pair of wool socks when coldand the fit of the boot is not tight or too lose.....
Old 12-14-2007, 02:45 PM

Here's the best deal I have ever tried: you get a set of those Arctic Shield boot blankets, only you get them the right size to fit over your socks with the regular hunting boots off. For me, with a size 13 foot, I got the size 9 boot blankets. Get in the stand, remove regular hunting boots, get the Heat toe warmers going next to your socks; and then pull the Arctic Shield boot blankets on and enjoy. Muffin warm.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Tribal

I live where it's COLD. I ice fish and hunt when it's cold. I don't enjoy walking a mile in them but for stand hunting or kissing up to a hole in the ice when your feet are sitting on the ice for hours. We use Lacrosse Ice King Boots witha good wool wicking sock 1 Pair only so your feet circulate. My feet have yet to get COLD! I think you pick them up for 100 bucks. Yes they are heavy and yes you look like bigfoot when they are on. BUt my feet are always the last to get cold. They feel like slippers on honestly.
+1 on the Ice Kings... arguably the warmest boot ever made... and also one of the ugliest... but who cares as long as the dogs are warm and toasty
Old 12-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Here's the best deal I have ever tried: you get a set of those Arctic Shield boot blankets, only you get them the right size to fit over your socks with the regular hunting boots off. For me, with a size 13 foot, I got the size 9 boot blankets. Get in the stand, remove regular hunting boots, get the Heat toe warmers going next to your socks; and then pull the Arctic Shield boot blankets on and enjoy. Muffin warm.
I'll have to try that. I can get a small pair from my buddy's son to experiment with.

Today I tried on a pair of the cabelas predator boots. Very comfy to me. I wanted to try the infernos, but my store didn't have my size on the floor. they didn't have the lacrosse ones either. I'll have to go to a couple other stores to try them on before I make a decision. My overall goal is to find something that is somewhat tolerable to still hunt in, and also stand hunt. The weirdest thing about is, is that my hands dont' bother me at all. I can hunt bare handed down to about 30 degrees and not be bothered at all. IN the 20's I hunt with the stretchy gloves with tiny grippy dots. Go figure. I guess 3 winters in the pa mountains on a survey crew helped me there. So it's not like I have a circulation problem, or my core body temp is dropping. My feet just sweat, no matter what I wear/don't wear, they get damp, and then once it gets below 30, I'm done. And if I change my footwear at the stand, and expose them to cold, I might as well go home right there.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's another vote for the Ice Kings. I've had a pair for probably 10 years and I love them. My feet have yet to get cold, and I've bowhunted in single digit temps in a pair of standard white cotton socks (back in my younger, and stupider days).

Another thing I've found that's great and that I've been using a lot is ThermalFeet. Basically they're a booty that slips over the outside of your boot and has a pocket to hold a Hot Hands type handwarmer on the top of your foot to keep the blood circulating into your foot warm. The best part is that they're small enough to slip into your pack, until the Arctic Shield boot covers, and thus far have kept my feet nice and warm. Check them out at www.thermalline.com I just got a set of the updated ones for 2007 and they're awesome. Same principle as the ones on their website, but instead of a bungee cord to hold them on, they are more of a hospital type booty that slips over your entire sole and around your heel to hold it on. Good stuff!
Old 12-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Spike

I used to have the same problem, until I realized I was wearing too many pairs of socks (3) and lacing my boots up too tight, which cut off the circulation to my feet. This caused them to freeze like crazy! I now wear 2 pairs of good wool socks and put a bit of gold bond foot powder to absorb any moisture and dont lace my boots up so tight, and their nice and warm.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mikey, I had forgot about those little polypropolene sock liners.. I had picked up about four pair of those for my elk trip, but hadn't used them since.

After seeing one of the above posters mention them, I dug them out and put them on first last night before I pulled my big knee-high wool socks over them... I really feel it helped considerably just by adding those little liners.

That is... until I was trying to take a shortcut back to my Jeep last night... I figured I could cut off a 1/4 of a mile of walking if I could just take a straight line back. The only problem was some standing water in some bottoms I needed to make it through... All was fine until about 25 feet left to go, when I suddenly found myself walking knee deep in ice water... Talk about a chilling experience! Thank god for wadded-up newspapers in the toes to draw out the water, and my neighbor's boot driers running ever since! Hopefully, they'll be dry enough for this afternoon in a few hours.

Quick Reply: My feet freeze

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.