Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

My feet freeze

Old 12-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default My feet freeze

Ok, I want some of you cold weather bowhunters to tell me about your favorite boots for nasty cold days. My feet sweat alot, and then freeze in anything below 30 degrees, and I've tried just about every Thinsulate boot out there, and every sock you can think of. It gets downright painful. The rest of me is fine. I need a pac boot, bottom line. I've been eyeballing the Cablelas Predator boot, and a couple of the Lacrosse boots. If anyone can tell me their experiences with these boots, or any other pac boot, I'd like to hear from you.

I'd appreciate it guys!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: My feet freeze

Mine too. Looking forward to responses. I do use the un-scented powder in my socks and boots and it helps some.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

My feet got JUST cold enough this year a few times so far that I'll be finishing the season out in these after next week... 2,000 grams of Thinsulate. Cabela's "Inferno" boot -- rated to minus 140.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live where it's COLD. I ice fish and hunt when it's cold. I don't enjoy walking a mile in them but for stand hunting or kissing up to a hole in the ice when your feet are sitting on the ice for hours. We use Lacrosse Ice King Boots witha good wool wicking sock 1 Pair only so your feet circulate. My feet have yet to get COLD! I think you pick them up for 100 bucks. Yes they are heavy and yes you look like bigfoot when they are on. BUt my feet are always the last to get cold. They feel like slippers on honestly.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Spike

remember, air is what keeps your feet warm, so too many layers of socks can be too tight in the boot, displacing air and reducing your insulation factor. PLUS it cuts off circulation wich doesn't help much either. Put in foot powder as it helps with the moisture, wich makes u feel colder.
We use our issued "warm weather" boots here in the field wich are nothing but a hard rubber sole and leather boot, with a pair of cotton and wool socks, I only get cold feet on the colder days of our winters, and I have bad circulation in my extremities.
If army guys know anything, its about looking after your feet in boots...
But yes, nice fancy boots are great to have too!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

My feet got JUST cold enough this year a few times so far that I'll be finishing the season out in these after next week... 2,000 grams of Thinsulate. Cabela's "Inferno" boot -- rated to minus 140.

I'm curious to hear about how they work for you. Those and their Predator boots are getting good review on their site. Let me know Greg!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Will do, Mikey... I'm pretty excited about getting them. I bought some that look almost exactly like this early in the summer except they had 400 grams of Thinsulate for my elk trip; I knew I'd be doing more and longer walking in Colorado.

These really got me excited about hearing how warm they were AND how people could still walk pretty well since they weren't so bulky like a traditional pac boot.

Seems like this was the year for acquiring a lot of stands and some nice boots, and next year will be for acquiring some super nice base layers. Just MAYBE I'm getting closer to getting everything I need!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Check out the lacrosse extreme PFT boots.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

Anybody tried those Artic Shield slip-on boot covers?
Old 12-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I saw those, and they may work... who knows? Not a bad idea... I could wear my 400-gram Thinsulate ones in, and slip these on once I was on stand.

I guess the reason I don't care to do that is I'm often hunting public land and want to pack in as absolutely light as I can -- and with the least amount of bulk that I can, too. I just see it right now as one more thing to carry.

Quick Reply: My feet freeze

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.