Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

My feet freeze

Old 12-13-2007, 08:29 AM

Default RE: My feet freeze

I HAVE THE VERY SAME PROBLEM. IN THE OLD DAYS I WOULD EVEN WALK BACK TO MY TRUCK TO GET WARM. BUT NOW I DON'T HAVE THAT PROBLEM. I WEAR A RUBBER BOOT THE HAS ALOT OF ROOM OVER MY TOES. MINE ARE 800GRAMS. I WEAR ONE PAIR OF LITE SOCKS. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY I USE HOT HANDS MADE FOR SOCKS. I USE THE KIND THAT HAS THE STICKY TABS ON THE BACK AND I STICK THEM DIRECTLY ON TOP OF MY SOCKS OVER MY TOES. NO PROBLEM EVER SINCE. THEY LAST ALLDAY. I DON'T GO ANY WHERE WITHOUT THEM. WHEN I CAN'T FIND THE KIND WITH STICKY TABS, I DUCK TAPE REGULAR ONES TO THE TOP OF MY SOCKS. HOPE THIS HELPS.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

You didn't say if your feet get cold walking or on stand. My feet usually stay warm if I'm moving but on stand is another story. I carry the Artic Shield "overboots" in my pack along with some paper towels. When I get on stand, and plan on being there a while, I dry off my boots and put the boot blankets on. If its really cold, I slip a disposable hand warmer in each one. (Thats the reason for drying off the boots - so the hand warmer doesn't get wet and quit on me.) With the boot blankets, you can get away with wearing lighter boots. They work for me.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mickey mouse army issue boots. You can get these new for aboput $70 from an army navy surplus store. Worn these for years as have almost all the ice fisherman I hung out with. They are heavy however.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cold feet? Been there and done that. Here's something I found that helps. I wear a pair of cotton socks to my stand. Once I'm up and settled I take my shoes and socks off to let my feet dry. They do sweat on the way in. Once dried out I slip inot a pair of my wifes knee-highs and slip on a pair of good wool sox. Slip on my boots, wrap the laces around them and tie them.....loose. Circulation means as much as getting the feet dry.

Please get permission from the wife, though.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

You didn't say if your feet get cold walking or on stand. My feet usually stay warm if I'm moving but on stand is another story. I carry the Artic Shield "overboots" in my pack along with some paper towels. When I get on stand, and plan on being there a while, I dry off my boots and put the boot blankets on. If its really cold, I slip a disposable hand warmer in each one. (Thats the reason for drying off the boots - so the hand warmer doesn't get wet and quit on me.) With the boot blankets, you can get away with wearing lighter boots. They work for me.

if I'm in snow, and stillhunting at a slow pace, I get in trouble. I do have the overboots you spoke of, but haven't had the chance to really try them while on stand. I'm interested in a set of pacs, as I'm planning some out of state rut bowhunts next year, and I'd just like to have a pair to ensure I can get by without getting cold.

The mickey mouse boots are on the list of ones to try on. As are most of the others mentioned here. Thanks guys!
Old 12-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

rocky 800 gram thinsulate boots, polypropelene thin liner, merino wool socks.

been using this combo for a few years now, NEVER get cold or sweat.

good luck
Old 12-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I hunt in really COLD weather, I use Northern Outfitters expedition boots. They are bulky and not the best for long walks, but a great boot for stand hunting. Theywill, keep your feet warm for around $200.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: moose1915

rocky 800 gram thinsulate boots, polypropelene thin liner, merino wool socks.

been using this combo for a few years now, NEVER get cold or sweat.

good luck
you're lucky man. anything under 30 degrees and I'd be hurtin in 2 hours.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:40 PM

These have been a Godsend for me:

Old 12-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I buy boots a size or so big so I can double up on wool socks and still have plenty of toe room. Never lace them up too tight and if it really gets cold Ill use my Arcticsheild boot covers and toss a hand warmer or two in there.

Quick Reply: My feet freeze

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.