Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

feathers or vanes ???

Old 12-23-2007, 03:28 PM

Default RE: feathers or vanes ???

i shoot feathers because i am traditional,,,the greatest concern with feathers is the weather..vanes are the ticket when it comes to that.......for shooting give me feathers anyday jpw
Old 12-23-2007, 03:57 PM

After a PM from Dan(MeanV2), I went ahead and bought some Gatewat Rayzr Feathers. They're small, 1/2" in width and VERY light!!! Three of them weighed together at the same timeon my digital reloading scale came in at 3.3 grams. You can't get one vane that low! Most vanes start in the 5-6 gram a piece weight level.
I fletched some of my Carbon Express 3D Select arrows with a right hand twist using the Rayzr feathers. Shot them the next day and HOLY _ _ _ _ !!!! They are real zippers in the speed and accuracy category!
Very tight groups w/ field points. Switched to Slick Trick broadheads and a few G5 Montecs and had such tight groups again, that I had to start shooting at different bullseyes so as not to keep cutting my flecthing!!!
I strongly suggest you try the Rayzr feathers and see what they can do for you. I will chrono these now as soon as I get to my buddy's archery shop with his chrono. We'll see what the FPS is now!!!
Old 12-23-2007, 04:42 PM

What's the difference between feathers and vanes?

thanks
Francis
Old 12-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Feathers are made from turkey wing feathers and vanes are molded plastic.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:09 PM

The job of a fletching is to slow the back end of the arrow down. The more helical or offset you have the more they do this. This increases the stability of the arrow in flight and makes it inherently more accurate.

Due to the shape and structure of feathers they will slow the back end of an arrow down more than a vane. Other than being more forgiving on contact this is why they are more accurate.

The initial speed difference you will find with feathers over vanes is going to be minimal. Straight off the bow they are going to be slightly faster simply due to the wieght difference. What you will find is what you gain in initial speed is quickly ate up from the feathers slowing the arrows down more. If you shoot at distance you may find your feathers impacting lower than what your vanes did.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:11 PM

4" duravane