Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Feathers vs. vanes >

Feathers vs. vanes

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Feathers vs. vanes

Old 02-13-2006, 02:19 PM

Default Feathers vs. vanes

I been shooting GoldTip 57/75 Ted Nugent series shafts thatI bought off ebay for while. NowI am in the process in looking to buy more shafts, but this is the problem should i switch back over to vanes or spend the extra money for the feathers.I have did pricing, for either way, but it is a challenge to find the right feathers i need, the vanes come up cheaper. Any advice. Righty
Old 02-13-2006, 07:32 PM

Default RE: Feathers vs. vanes

I first had feathers and liked them fine. My broadhead flight was accurate and I was ready to hunt. Then I got caught in the rain and my feathers got soaked and then matted together.

So I switched to vanes but when I put a broadhead on, my arrows planed big time.

Went back to feathers and just put some of the stay-dry powder on em and I wont shoot anything but feathers from now on. From all I've read, they're more forgiving and the speed is neglible from what I understand.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

This is your personal desicion. With feathers there will be more spin on the arrow which will mae it a little lowder. The only bad thing is that they shoot real bad when they get wet. On the other hand vanes shoot great...but like i said its up to you.

Old 02-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

personally i would stick with feathers just because they are more forgiving and the cost of arrows with vanes or with feathers should not be a tremendous amount so i would stick with what you have and stay with what works

Lefty
the original buckmaster
Old 02-13-2006, 07:45 PM

Here we go again. Do a search on this topic, it gets beat to death. There are other places to get your feathers and vanes besides ebay. And you will find what you are looking for. I used to be a die hard, tried and true feather guy. In fact, I still like em. Nothing looks as good asaDRY feather. There in lies the problem. Feathers just don't like to be wet. You can take measures against that, but in my experience, they just always end up wet. Feathers are great stabilizers, though. I figure if they weren't, birds would be born with plastic wings.

I recently switched to blazers, and couldn't be happier.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:28 PM

There are pros and cons to both........Feathers just seem to be all around better for my Cx's.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Righty,
I shoot the same arrows but with the 4 inch quick spin vanes,I mostly elk hunt so I use a COC BH.My arrows are set up with 100 gr Magnus stingers @ 280 FPS and I have no problem shooting or planing problems.
BBJ
Old 02-14-2006, 08:58 PM

Go with feathers. I did not read what everyone else had to say, so I may just repeating but hear it goes. Feathers stabalize quicker, they are not as loud as what people say(stand down range from a feather and vane and listen to the difference, there really isn't one), and even though feathers may cost more, you can shoot a crappy feather in practice and not worry about it while if you have a broken or sliced vane, it has to be replaced. Feathers will be my all time number one choice because of performance. You CAN shoot them when they are wet, maybe not at long ranges, but when hunting you're not shooting that far anyways. They are not as loud as what people say they are because you can't hear them untill they get "fairly"close to you. They stabilize an arrow within three feet where as vanes dont stabilize untill within 10 feet(depending on the vane), which means if you make contact with something other than your bow it is going to come back within your shooting windom quicker. And, the major plus, they are prettier. Feathers on birds are there for a reason. They are made to fly. Plastic was not. I realise feathers versus vanes is all about personal experience, and it is all about the shooter. But, feathers are a much more realistic choice in accuracy. Bar none.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/facts.htm

If feathers get 'matted up' (been shooting feathers more than 50 years and have never seen feathers get THAT bad) just hold them over the spout of a steaming tea kettle for a few seconds. It's like magic. The feathers zip right back into shape all by themselves.

You can hold the feathers over a pot of boiling water and do the same thing, just the tea kettle spits the steam out under pressure and it works faster.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Feathers all the way , do a search as sugested , you'll have hours of reading .
If Im lucky enough to shoot an animal I wash the blood of in a stream usealy and when I get back to camp make sure its clean , get the feathers wet and use a hair dryer to fluff them back up , then you can put fletch dry on them to keep them from absorbing rain and sutch , works as good as the teapot method , piss'es the wife off though

Quick Reply: Feathers vs. vanes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.