Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

feathers or vanes ???

Old 11-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: feathers or vanes ???

ORIGINAL: peregordusmc

ORIGINAL: 358WINMAN

Feathers are very light compared to vanes( 3 grams vs 6-8grams).
Good luck!
Just out of curiousity is that weight per feather/vane or is that for all 3 on the arrow?
And that would be grains, not grams, don't get confused by that.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just for a comparison I just weighed the following.
3- QS Speed Hunters 20 grains
3- Blazers 17 grains
3- 3" feathers 5 grains

Dan
Old 11-29-2007, 11:22 PM

There may be some very slight advantages to feathers, but I think they are outweighed by advantages of vanes:

(1) Durability - a few thorns or twigs poking into your quiver while walking in the woods can do some real damage to feathers - not so much with vanes;

(2) Weatherproof - waterproofing agents for feathers will only work so well, if it rains, eventually you have soggy, ineffective feathers;

(3) NOISE - feathers make much more noise than vanes. If you keep your quiver attached to your bow while hunting, this is a constant issue.

Shoot vanes with a compound, save the feathers for your recurve or long bow.

Helpful Hint: When your vanes or feathers seem a little beat up, try steaming them with a steamer, the steam from an ironor a tea kettle. The vanes will straighten out, and feathers will come back to life almost like magic.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the report MeanV2. BTW, what is a MeanV string suppressor? (I tried pm'ing you but your inbox is full)

I think the rain vs. feathers thing is overrated. The only problem I have with wet feathers is they sometimes come unglued. They still shoot fine, even if the fletch starts to lay down a bit. I haven't had any problem with thorns and twigs either, but then I try not brush them against anything.... because they are indeed noisy.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

MeanV String Suppressor? It's a custom fit string suppressorYou can check them out on my website: www.meanvarchery.com I took care of the full Inbox. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. It seems to fill up pretty quick

Dan
Old 12-04-2007, 10:35 PM

I wont shoot anything but feathers, its just a preference thing though. I will say that the majority of archers who try feathers will tell you they like them better than vanes. Yes they are noisy, but if you do some testing with a tape recorder close to your target, you will find that broadhead tipped arrows make much more noise in flight than you might think they do, with feathers or vanes. As for the water problems, I dont even use a waterproofing agent. tested my arrows many tiimes by wetting the feathers and even allowing them to soak in water,point of impact with a wet feather and a dry feather doesnt change enough to make a difference and my groups dont get any bigger. ill take the tighter groups, faster and better arrow flight i get with feathers over vanes.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ncrebel8

I wont shoot anything but feathers, its just a preference thing though. I will say that the majority of archers who try feathers will tell you they like them better than vanes. Yes they are noisy, but if you do some testing with a tape recorder close to your target, you will find that broadhead tipped arrows make much more noise in flight than you might think they do, with feathers or vanes. As for the water problems, I dont even use a waterproofing agent. tested my arrows many tiimes by wetting the feathers and even allowing them to soak in water,point of impact with a wet feather and a dry feather doesnt change enough to make a difference and my groups dont get any bigger. ill take the tighter groups, faster and better arrow flight i get with feathers over vanes.
I agreeI've never had a deer react from the extra noise from feathers, not even when I was shooting less than 200fps. Another benefit from feathers is extra FOC. I also agree that the majority that try feathers end up sticking with them or going back to them

Dan
Old 12-04-2007, 11:44 PM

I have shot both a lot with recurves and compounds. Hunting and outdoor target I use vanes. I like feathers for indoor target. Indoors I use big over spine arrows, heavy points and they help to straighten the arrow out better. Outdoor and for hunting vanes don't get wet, and carry better on longer shots because the wind doesn't bother them as much and they are more uniformed. Feather are lighter than vanes , but is that a good thing. If you look at them close you see that some are thicker than others making one stiffer that the other. After shooting them for any time they look like rags from hitting each other, passing through the target and from getting wet. I always try to matched them up when I made my arrows with feathers. When I make my arrows every thing has got to be perfect because I feel they are one of the most important things for good shooting. Wet feather have cost me a deer and a outdoor tournament before because they made sights off by shooting low and not shooting consistent in the same spot.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:33 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: maytom

ORIGINAL: cetanuts

they came fletched with 4'' quick spin sts. not to complain about the qspins outher than the fact thier heavy.
This has been an ongoing debate as long as I can remember, feathers VS vanes!!
Vanes are just about foolproof. They are much more quieter than feathers when rubber against and in flight, and this is the biggie, they hold up much better than feathers to wear and weather!! Since you already are shooting "Weight forward arrows" to begin with, you might throw that off by lightening the back end too much by switching to feathers? Just a thought.

im with him!!!
Old 12-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been shooting feathers since 1974 and they have served me well. I see no reason to switch and it would take a heckovaproven argumentto convince me to switch to anything else. BTW I shoot 5" full helical feathers as in my opinion there's no such thing as too much accuracy.

Quick Reply: feathers or vanes ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.