Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 feathers or vanes >

feathers or vanes

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

feathers or vanes

Old 12-01-2005, 08:06 PM

Default feathers or vanes

do feathers have any advantage over platic vanes. can be they more accurate? do they last longer?
Old 12-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: feathers or vanes

Yes and Yes.

They provide much more control over an arrow than vanes ever will. Even when numerous arrows have passed through the feathers they are still able to provide you with excelent arrow control. They are super forgiving to any contact they make with objects such as a rest or a twig.

To be perfectly honest the only REAL disadvantage to feathers is that you need to water proof them. Outside of that feathers are far superior to vanes.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

In general, feathers will stabilize an arrow better, especially if the arrow has a large bladed fixed head on the front, they are lighter than many plastic fletchings, but not all. They are more forgiving when they contact a rest/riser, compared to plastic fletch. They create more drag! They aren't as weather resistant, such as if you hunt in rain! They will have more noise in flight, compared to most plastic fletch!
Old 12-04-2005, 05:09 AM

I notice flatter flat out to about 30 yards and they drop quicker after that. I am going to look at doing a 4 feather configuration with 3 inch feathers. This is after using 4 blazer config. It is awesome. I see only two downsides to blazers. One, they are a vein so you can stick arrows through them and have to replace them. Two, they are pretty darn tall.