Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Whiskery biscuit

Old 09-27-2007, 10:33 AM

Default RE: Whiskery biscuit

I had a WB but it was tearing up my fletchings(and it was the new version) so I got a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone and it works great. It comes with the arrow holder in this picture and it will hold the arrow with the bow held parallel to the ground.

I bought this thing to use instead of that ^^^ and it holds the arrow whichever way you turn the bow
www.keystonecountrystore.com
Old 09-28-2007, 01:54 AM
Fork Horn

it tears up junky vanes, blazers and good stiff vanes have no problems but you could just shoot the best and shoot feathers. drop aways when working properly will get you 1-3 fps over a WB theyll also get you to worry about if its gonna work after you get out in the woods esp if you walk through any brush or if its gone out of tune from sting stretch etc. dropaways are awsome, for target shooting but in the hunting woods they just are not worth the risk to me. ive seen at least three video hunts on tv were they have failed and have heard of plenty. lots of people use them without incident though so if your willing to chance it they shoot awsome.

i shoot 50yrds no problem with the WB and using feathers dotn loose any speed, but gain accuracy.i hunt from a tree but i think not haveing to worry about the arrow falling off is a huge deal and thats why the drop aways are coming out with something to hold the arrow there.
the WB doesnt freeze as some will tell your (i did a test in the gear review area) and its a set it and forget it ultra reliable rest.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Bradkoz

it tears up junky vanes, blazers and good stiff vanes have no problems but you could just shoot the best and shoot feathers. drop aways when working properly will get you 1-3 fps over a WB theyll also get you to worry about if its gonna work after you get out in the woods esp if you walk through any brush or if its gone out of tune from sting stretch etc. dropaways are awsome, for target shooting but in the hunting woods they just are not worth the risk to me. ive seen at least three video hunts on tv were they have failed and have heard of plenty. lots of people use them without incident though so if your willing to chance it they shoot awsome.

i shoot 50yrds no problem with the WB and using feathers dotn loose any speed, but gain accuracy.i hunt from a tree but i think not haveing to worry about the arrow falling off is a huge deal and thats why the drop aways are coming out with something to hold the arrow there.
the WB doesnt freeze as some will tell your (i did a test in the gear review area) and its a set it and forget it ultra reliable rest.

Well said Bradkoz!!!!
Old 09-28-2007, 02:08 PM

When I had my wb, I was shooting with quik-spins, which are a lot thicker and stifferthan normal vanes so I figured they wouldn't get torn up, but they did, so I ended up getting the TR drop zone. I haven't had any problems with my drop zone rest at all and all I do with it is hunt. My bow sat in the case since probably december and I took it out a month agoto gohunting and killed 5 hogs with it, didn't have to tune or adjust anything. I haven't had to adjust the rest in the 2 years that I've had it.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

i didn't think quick spins were to be used with the WB since they have that plastic piece on the end of them
Old 09-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

The new Bowtech Hostage rest has all the advantages of the WB but without all the vane contact

Dan
Old 09-28-2007, 06:19 PM

DannyD, that's what I thought, but the guy at Bass Pro said it would be fine. And even if you're not supposed to use quick spins with a wb, that wouldn't affect the vanes getting curled or torn off the arrow, would it?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

The new Bowtech Hostage rest has all the advantages of the WB but without all the vane contact

Dan
I use a WB and love it.. It is the ultimate hunting rest.. But now that I have seen the Hostage (thanks MeanV2)I will take a serious look at that rest when i replace my bow.. Not any time soon but I lovetheHostage concept..

Speaking of Quick Spin vanes, do they improve flight characteristics and accuracy with fixed broadheads?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Whitehorn

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Dan
I use a WB and love it.. It is the ultimate hunting rest.. But now that I have seen the Hostage (thanks MeanV2)I will take a serious look at that rest when i replace my bow.. Not any time soon but I lovetheHostage concept..

Speaking of Quick Spin vanes, do they improve flight characteristics and accuracy with fixed broadheads?
I like the QS's and the new Speed Hunter in ST formula are solid performers

Dan
Old 10-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DEDBUCK

Hate em they warped the fletchings on my arrows and it has to affect arrow flight and speed.
Easy to fix if vanes.

And a deer doesn't know the speed of your arrow (at least I don't think so), you do not loose that many FPS.

Quick Reply: Whiskery biscuit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.