Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Improving the Lone Wolf Hand Climber part 2: the bow holder >

Improving the Lone Wolf Hand Climber part 2: the bow holder

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Improving the Lone Wolf Hand Climber part 2: the bow holder

Old 10-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Spike

Default Improving the Lone Wolf Hand Climber part 2: the bow holder

The designers of the Lone Wolf stand products had the clever idea of designing a bow holder into the casting of the platform. Since the cast aluminum surface is rather rough (for better traction), they also provide an optional rubber grommet to protect the bow from abrasion with the aluminum surface. However, there are several improvements that I have found to be useful.

First, one must decide whether to use the integral bow holder at all. While it is convenient, it can also be in the way as it places the bow in the center front of the platform. I can see many people choosing not to use it at all or only occasionally while using any number ofalternatives (strap-on and screw-in holders, holders that bolt to the outer edge of the platform, etc.) for most bow holding.

Personally, I like the bow holder and find that I am using it regularly: the interference it presents is minimal andI can remove it in preparation for a shot with minimal movement. This leads to two important considerations when using the integral bow-holder.

First, it is important to anticipate the appropriate amount of up-angle when mounting the platform to the tree so that, when you reach the desired height and the treediameter has decreased, the platform is now level. This is important anyway as a platform that is not level leads to problems when standing, but a platform that continues to slope toward the treecan cause a bow placed in the holder to fall back rather than resting comfortably in place.

Second, while the bow holder grommet is an excellent addition to protect your bow, the grommet will not stay in place by itself: the bow will tend to push the grommet out of place, exposing thecast aluminum surface.

This is a simple problem to resolve:I used several strips of the camo duct tape torn length-ways and wrapped it around the grommet at several places to hold it in place.

As a result the integral bow holder is reliable and always available without bringing extra equipment.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:24 PM

Default RE: Improving the Lone Wolf Hand Climber part 2: the bow holder

In addition to the grommet bow holder, I installed a Foster GC-5000. It has 2 aluminum plates that fit both sides of the platform. The bolt goes through the brush pocket. Now I have the convenience of both. When walking in, you simply loosen the T-handle to remove the limb yoke. Sometimes I hunt too close to another tree to use the side bow holder always. Great setup!
Old 10-07-2005, 09:02 PM

Hi Rick,
I actually gave up on this one. I just don't seem to be able to get my Liberty to properly sit in the grommet. I just keep my three-fold 'screw-in' bow holder in my back pack, but please keep em coming.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

You must be a engineeer
Old 10-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I really like the way you are approaching this. I have a similar bow holder on my Summit and need to modify it as well.