Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Lone Wolf Hand Climber

Old 09-04-2005, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lone Wolf Hand Climber

I've hunted public land for many years and after much debate with myself I finally bought a climber so I could move around a little easier. I purchased a Lone Wolf hand climber and after climbing several trees I am wondering why I didn't buy one sooner. It sets up quickly and quietly and I'm very pleased with it. This is the first climber I've ever owned and I would highly recommend it. I am usually standing a majority of the time when hunting so I opted not to buy a climber with all the fancy seats, arm rests, foot rests, etc. Without all these extras this stand is light and makes backpacking a breeze. Oh, and I almost forgot about the bow holder built into the platform. So if your in the market for a climber, keep Lone Wolf in mind.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:27 PM

Default RE: Lone Wolf Hand Climber

What technique are you using to climb with that stand; e.g. leaning over the seat to raise the lower portion or using a pull-up motion? I really like the light weight of the hand climber, but afraid it would be a whole lot more work than it's worth.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

hunohio, Just food for thought. My buddy has the Lone Wolf hand climber and likes it, but he does feel that it takes a little too much effort to get up the tree. I fell in love with how light the stand is, and after much thought, I bought the Lone Wolf Sit and Climb last year. I could not be more pleased. It folds flat, is very light, whisper quiet going on and up the tree, and it is effortless to climb with. I have owned climbers made by Ol' Man, Summit, and API. All three were well made, but none of them hold a candle to the Lone Wolf.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:07 AM

Thanks rdy2hnt. The sit and climb is the other stand I'm looking at. The only bad things I've heard about that model is that it is too narrow for a lot of folks once the weather cools down (and the heavy clothes come on) and that the bar you sit on to climbis too close to the seat and cuts into your legs once you're sitting. Have you experienced either of these problems?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, I have not. I am 6'1 240 lbs. and I live in Southern Illinois. I am originally from West Central Illinois and while it does not get as cold down here as it does up home, we are hunting in the low teens to single digits by the end of the season. I have used the stand while wearing insulated bibs and a 4 in 1 parka, it is more snug than it is with early season clothes on, but it is still functional and easy to use.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

I also use the Lone Wolf. I converted my old V Bar to the new Alpha System and could not be happier. I live and use my stand in Wisconsin and have never had a problem using this stand in the cold weather during late season. I have read about people having problems opening the cams in the bitter cold, but I have never experienced this. Sure they open and close a little harder in the cold, but it's not a big deal. I use the pull up method to climb, this seems to be the easiest and fastest way to get up and down (IMO)
Old 09-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

hunohio, sorry for the delayed response. When climbing or descending the tree I put my forearms on the padded seat with my hands gripping the back corners of the seat. I am 5' 8'', 155 lbs and have no problem going up and down the tree in this manner. The only thing I can come up with to compare this to would be to kneel in front of a chair and try to lift your legs off the ground using the same technique described above. As I stated above, this is my first climber so I can't compare to others, but I would not call this work.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

C-Woods-Shoot,

Have you tried the pull up method? I know in the video that comes with the stand they show the method that you use. But I found the pull up method the easiest to do. I extend the climber above my head to arms length and pull the platform up with my legs. Not much upper body strength required. Good workout for the abs though.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:48 AM

Hi guys. I used to use a 26lb. Summit standthat was like sitting in an easy chair in my living room. Unfortunately, a degenerating vertebrae in my neck made it impossible to carry for any distances. I just bought the Lone Wolf Alpha Hand climber and I absolutely love it. It is a bit more work getting up the tree but I am very happy with it.