Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 another upgrade question.. >

another upgrade question..

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

another upgrade question..

Old 09-14-2005, 04:57 PM

Default another upgrade question..

I, too, am not sure whether to buy new, or fix up old. I was given a Hoyt Gamegetter II from a guy at work. Installed new sites & a rest. Bought recommended arrows & field points.(Went to Dick's & followed the advise of the guy there.)
Let me start off that this is my first experience with a bow. Practiced shooting it in the back yard (large back yard with no houses to the rear of me.) Was getting fairly consistant at about 20 yards. Now the string is fraying at one end. No real idea yet what that costs, & no idea if this is a junker bow or worth keeping. I planned on going to a local bow shop (nearest one is about 30 min drive) but
would like some feedback beforehand. I havn't shot it since I noticed the fraying.
I would like to use it for deer hunting. Been hunting with firearms most of my life, but never a bow.
On a budget, don't want to spend more than 100/150 dollars, but also don't want to throw money away on something that might be worthless.
Thanks for any opinions you can share.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:32 PM

Default RE: another upgrade question..

If the string just looks "hairy" it is ok. Wax it up and keep shooting. Now, if there are some strands broken, that's a new ballgame. Get that string replaced. You may as well replace the cables too. I think you can get new strings and cables for your bow in the neighborhood of 60 bucks. The Hoyt Gamegetter is a great bow. It will most certainly kill any deer you shoot.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:11 AM

Thanks, Mo.
That gives me confidance in spending some on this bow, rather than buying a brand new one. I'd like to give archery a try, not sure how much I'll really get into it, though. It'd be nice to be able to practice in my own back yard as much as I want
to hone my skills, though, unlike going to the rifle range.
One more question: as far as proficiency goes for hunting, what size groups and
from what distance (as well as maximum) should I minimally strive for before I actually attempt to hunt with it? Obviously accuracy & consistancy will improve with practice over time, but rather anxious to try. I've killed deer with evrything except a bow...
Hopefully I'll get more help this weekend at the bow shop I'm going to, but appreciate any opinions from you guys beforehand, as well.
Thanks again for the reply.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:06 PM

Well, I went to the local bow shop. Hope I didn't get too hosed. They
measured me & said I should shoot a 28" draw. They said the Hoyt was a 30" & couldn't be changed. Sold me a used Pro Tech Golden Eagle for 125.00 that was already reconditioned. Added a whisker biscuit rest.
They adjusted the Golden Eagle to fit my draw length. Also sold me 6 Gold Tip Hunter XT 5575 arrows for around 40.00.
Hope I did OK, & they didn't just see me coming!
Feels nice in my hands & can shoot groups around 2 inches at 20 yards
(some almost touching each other). Not so good yet at 30 yards!
Like I said, just getting started in this, so I guess I'll learn as I go.
Trying to learn & listen to others.
So, anything good/bad about this particular bow I should know?
Old 09-21-2005, 06:51 PM

Sounds like you did alright to me. Just have fun with it, and be patient!!