Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 How often should you upgrade with a new bow? >

How often should you upgrade with a new bow?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

How often should you upgrade with a new bow?

Old 09-12-2005, 11:24 PM

Default How often should you upgrade with a new bow?

On average, about how often do you all suggest buying a new bow. Also, is an older bow (ie 4-5yrs old) worth upgrading with all new goodies such as string, sights, rests, etc. for a couple of hundred bucks or should you just get a new one? I know these questions are subjective, but I'm stuck on the decision. I've got a 4 year old Reflex Prowler and I chrono'd it yesterday at 279fps with my current hunting set up. Problem is the string is worn, my biscuit is ragged and my sight is outdated and not very bright anymore and I'd like to put the Alphashox on it. I'm trying to decide whether to pour all that money in it or simply get a new rig such as the Switchback. I paid around $300 for it through Cabelas in '00. As always your thoughts are very appreciated.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:41 PM

Default RE: How often should you upgrade with a new bow?

Oh, also it's kind of heavy and the ATA is 39in with 7 1/2 brace height. I just have this urge to "keep up with the times" and get a new rig but have to justify it first.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I usually get a new one every 1 - 2 years. I sell my old one to offset the cost of the new one.

However I may just keep my alleginace for a while.

If it were me I would upgrade to a new bow. However I wouldn't do it until the season is over since it is so close right now. Heck, some are already hunting.[:@] Keep it for this season and upgrade in when the season ends. Besides you can usually find some real good deals on some brand new bows from the previous model year come Janruary and February. Just like cars.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

bigbulls and I often agree on many things. On this one, maybe not. I'd say that if you are comfortable with your bow then keep it. With that kind of speed you will be spending a lot of money for nothing is that is one of your goals. It doesn't matter whether you get a new bow or not you still need a new rest and a new sight. Probably money you will spend outfitting the new bow. So get them now for the Reflex. They can always be moved to a new bow later. String? Depending on what you get (I'd estimate about $30) a new string is tons less expensive than a new bow, and necessary anyway.

Do some homework on the AlphaShox. Can't remember where I got the info but they don't work on some bows. Just make sure they fit on the Reflex.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd wait till the 2006 models come out and if there isn't one that you "need" in that bunch I would snap up a discounted 2005. As for accessories you need them regardless of which bow you end up with. There are some great new sights on the market now compared to 5 years ago.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with BG Fisher on this one ,it sound's as your Reflex is spitting arrow's quite well as it is and if you like this bow I'd just spend the extra on the new accessories that you really need you can alway's use those accessories on your next bow ,and see what your feeling next season .Myself I buy a new bow every 3 year's ,but I'm not so sure i'll change my 04 Patriot Dually because of the reason is that I just love shooting this bow .I know every season the manufacturer's come out with something new that I'd just love to have ,but it's not necassary to try to keep up with the market ,it'll just keep you in the poor house .

nubo
Old 09-13-2005, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Upgrade to a newer bow? Wow.... I too have thought about it, but just can't seem to do it. My bow is a classic old style round wheel dual cam bow from 1996. Remember the old Thunderflite's from PSE? They sold thousands of them for years and years and years. My bow (PSE Edge 1000C) is a cousin to the Thunderflite bows. Same bow, different riser & grip.

I shoot maybe around 230fps, if that. My old bow is big bulky, heavy, 41" ATA, but is the most stable, rugged, easy to draw, type of bow that I have ever shot. It just has a certain feel that I grew comfortable with. I love this ol' bow!!

Old 09-13-2005, 11:30 AM

I rarely upgrade mine, as long as you are still happy with yours and it still shoots well I see no reason to upgrade. I will upgrade accesories from time to time and replace the string, but that is about it. I have had my current bow since 1999 and still very happy with it.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually buy new after 4 to 5 years. I have a 2002 Hoyt MagnaTec that I truly enjoybut I have a sneaking suspicion that a new BowTech is in my futurecome spring 2006.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't have a timetable.. But if some new inovation comes out that intriques me I'll check it out. That doesn't mean I'll buy it. I just upgraded from my trusty oldHoyt MT Sport. I love that bow. It shoots great. But I liked the hype of the Bowtechs. Shot them and enjoyed it a lot, so I bought a new one. Before I bought this one I shot the new Hoyts last year thought about upgrading to the cam and 1/2 but I didn't see/feel that much difference from what I had, so I stayed put. Also after I got into this bowhunting thing you had to have a Mathews to be "state of the art" I shot them and liked the smoothness but didn't buy because I couldn't justify the change.. So I guess the bottom line for me is..if the change is great enough and I have the available "mad money" I'll buy.

Quick Reply: How often should you upgrade with a new bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.