Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I upgrade? >

Should I upgrade?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I upgrade?

Old 07-09-2006, 07:40 PM

Default Should I upgrade?

I have been shooting a Browning Bridger bow for 16 years. It delivers about 50# (only 210 fps with 550 GR Easton 2215 LITE ARROW)of KE from 61# of draw. I have always heard that 50# of KE is enough for any whitetail provided you have the right shot.I shoot it very well and never take shots beyond 20 yards as I hunt in deep timber. However, I have rarely had a pass-through kill with this bow. It seems though, that as long as that arrow gets in the boiler room, that does the job quickly.

That got me thinking...I am aware that it is night and day when it come to comparing a Bowtech, Hoyt, Mathews, etc of today with that old bow that is 16 years old. I have shot them all and they are awesome. I think I have a moral obligation to the game I hunt to take them as efficiently as possible. In your field experience, if I move up to the bow that delivers 70-75 lbs of KE with the same60# draw, will I really see a dramatic improvement in passthrough--or will I still see my share of 1 holers?? I am thinking I will definitely see better results, but math is math, and the field is another place. wanted to be sure I asked before dropping the $ on a new bow. I am also considering going lower in the tree to get a shallower angle on the shot andshooting smaller diameter arrows to get better penetration.

thanks in advance for your experience.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Should I upgrade?

Each shot on each animal is different. I've shot bows with over 70 ftlbs of KE for the last 10 years and I don't always get a passthru on whitetails, Heck I had a passthru on a bull elk, came home from that and didn't passthru a doe with the same bow/setup.....

Upgrading won't garuantee you a passthru but I've never had an arrow that didn't at least leave an exit hole even if the arrow stayed in the animal.

I applaud your desire to upgrade for the sake of human kills etc....perhaps it's time for a new bow, that is up to you but I'll tell you one thing, it's difficult so shoot them all and good luck...
Old 07-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd definitely upgrade, and you can do it for not that much money. You'll definitely be picking up energy with a newer bow, and most likely get many more pass thrus. But I am suprised you didn't get more even with your setup. Although like Rob said, nothing is a sure thing. Much more goes into pass thrus than pure KE. How well the bows tuned, what it hits going thru, broadhead type, etc. How high do you get in the trees now? I'm up there around 18 and never felt I've needed to go lower to get better penetration.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can't take it with ya. Have some fun, buy a new bow but definitely keep old faithful as backup and if in the end you prefer your old bow you can always sell the other. I think that you will enjoy shooting the new stuff though and stick with it.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:40 PM

I'm merely going to ask this. Is the deer more dead w/ a pass through than w/ a good double lung shot that doesn't stick in the ground behind the deer?? Dead is dead, period. If you shoot your bow well, and are comfortable w/ it, morally there is no reason for you to buy a newer bow. Yours kills them just fine.

Now, if you want shooting your bow to be more fun, less vibration, smoother draw, 3 times quieter and blazing fast.......Well then, that's another matter altogether!
Old 07-10-2006, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Double blood trails are easier to follow.....

Go bow shopping, plenty of great options out there in all price catagories.
Give the diamond, reflex & fred bear's a shot if low to mid price is where your looking. ($300-$450)
Old 07-10-2006, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree withy Rob. Each shot is different and getting more oomph out of the bow won't be a guarantee of passthru's. There are just too many variables to each situation. rybohunter mentioned a few.

I don't quite understand why you don't get them anyway. 50# of energy should be plenty for deer sized game. Is it possible that you don't have the best of arrow flight? If the arrow is not flying true then it can be hitting the animal partly sideways, thus not putting all that energy straight behind the broadhead. Just a thought.

For example, almost all my shots are complete passthru's with as little as 39# of energy, but my arrow flight is as perfect as I can muster. Of course I shoot a slightly narrower broadhead, too. I limit my shot selection and range to a max of 35 yards, but most all my shots are about 15-25 yards.

If you think you are in need of a new bow then by all means try some out. And if money is an issue then look for some good used ones. There are plenty of 1-3 years old bows that would be a nice upgrade in feel and performance, but at about half the cost of a new one. Go with your gut and not all the hype. The latest and greatest isn't always the greatest for you, or for many others that follow the hype.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW, I can't believe some of these guys are actually telling you to not worry about the upgrade!!! [:-] Compared to that dinosaur you're shooting now you wouldn't believe the difference a new modern rig would make!!! If not just a pure performence but in shooting/killing confidence!!! Buy a new rig and I promise you'll be amazed and very, very happy. Best of luck to ya friend.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Bows are a very personal thing but the older bows can't even compare to the newer bows on the market for just plan fun to shoot. I try to buy myself a new bow every 2-4yrs but I still got every bow I ever owned all the way back to my second bow which was a hoyt/Easton Rambo that had like a amazing 2% letoff and the hand shock to compare to shooting a 12 guage. I had a very hard time giving up a old high country I shot for like 10 yrs before I broke down and tried something new and I only wish now that I would of switched up sooner. The newer bows don't only shoot faster and add more knockdown but are so much more fun to shoot.Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Trytan
Old 07-10-2006, 10:57 AM

KS Jeff, what broadhead are you shooting? That could have something to do with you getting pass throughs or not. You might be better off shooting a bit heavier arrow to. A heavy arrow has more punch than a light one. Given your only shooting 20 yards the speed you would be looseing wouldn't make that much difference.

I have never not had a pass through on a whitetail. I shot a Bear Jennings bow with round wheels for years. Then up graded to a Martin Phantom, 60 lb draw weight, with a single cam and with 80% let off.I shot gold tip arrows with 100 grain lighting broadheads from wal mart.The last doe I shot was at 15 yards and broad side. Hit just a bit forward and nailed the shoulder blades. Complete pass through even when I hit both shoulder blades. I don't think a older bow would have done that. There's alot of advantages with useing todays newer style bows over what your shooting. Something to think about.

Quick Reply: Should I upgrade?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.