Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Whisker Biskit ???? or gold key Premier

Old 09-02-2005, 08:01 AM

Default RE: Whisker Biskit ???? or gold key Premier

No kidding. I'm with you on THAT one.

Today bow sales and hype proliferates and abounds. Bowhunters have been led to believe that they NEED a $400 bow, $100 sight, $100 carbon arrows, $50 broadheads, the latest camo pattern, a $100 rest, stabilizers, etc. Most of that junk a guy doesn't need too shoot a deer at 20 yards!

I shoot a nice used 1970's Bear Polar LTD bow, off the shelf with my own rest, XX75 GameGetter's w/5" LW feathers, Bear Razorheads or WASP 130 gr CamLok's and fingers. If hunting on the ground I shoot instinctively. If in a treestand I use a Keller sight.

I doubt my bow shoots faster than 250 fps but go look at the nice 8-pointer I shot in 2001 in my profile pic. My rig prob cost me less than $200 or so. At 20 yds I'm deadly. I've never exceeded this range and frankly, haven't needed to.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:17 AM

same here, i've never had to go past 25 yds or so. . . .i don't use scent lock. . . . i don't shave or shower a day or two before i hunt. . . .i might rinse off a little. . . .but the deer walk right under my stand and last year's 8 pointer (131 BandC) did just that and was shot at ten yds!!

the jennings bow i bought off my former boss cost me $250 and that included the rest, stablizer, ultranok, Mongoose quiver, Scott release aid, and sights. the PSE cost me $175 and the guy put all the accessories on the PSE and gave me a discount on the purchase of half a dozen arrows!!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:21 AM

Sweet...

I've had 'em all - Martin's, Hoyts, Brownings, PSE, Oneida's, Bear, Jennings, etc. But for my $20 my Polar LTD cost me - I can't beat it. Feels good in my hand, shoots fine, and if it breaks I buy another used bow on eBay for the same amount. Actually, I shot my 8-pointer with a 1970's Bear Whitetail bow now that I think of it. It cost about $75 back in its day at K-Mart. I got it for free when my bother-in-law gave it to me!

Old 09-02-2005, 08:28 AM

i've killed 4 deer with this bow (2 in 2003 and 2 in 2004) and i hate to change anything. . . but i've got tired of constantly having to adjust the forks on the rest after 20+ / - shots.....so i think i may chuck the xring and get the vibracheck stabilzer and locktite the forks on the premier rest. . . .blue locktite is what to use. . . the red locktite requires heating and a lot of work to break loose, the blue only takes a little elbow grease and some time. . . .my father in law was wanting the wb, so he'll probably get it. . . .
Old 09-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

i think that part of the reason for the arrow slipping between the forks is due to excess vibration of the bow itself. the vibes loosen the set screw that holds the forks in the rest bracket.
Then I would suggest putting a little lock-tite on the screws...or a set of $12 limbsavers on the limbs.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:59 AM

Or make a $5 home-made shoot-off-the-shelf rest like I do! lol!

Old 09-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did notice something there. Take some advice and get rid of the Ultranock. Get a loop tied on in it's place. I'm certain that is at least part of the vibration problem. And you'll maybe gain upwards of 10 fps in the process.

I see your arrow weight, but what is the peak weight of the bow and drawlength? You should not be exceeding 60# at any drawlength over about 28".

For anyone. You show me an old Polar LTD shooting 250fps and I'll show you someone living in LaLa land. I was around when they came out, actually owned one. They had trouble amking 190fps back then---like in the 70's.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:14 PM

180 fps or not - they still are capable of killing deer at 15 yrds! lol!
Old 09-02-2005, 07:30 PM

I have shot the premier now for as long as its been out there and have only had the prongs loosen up one time. i tryed the bisket last year, and it was hell on the plastic vanes the feathers wear more forgiving. switched back before hunting season.