Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing
 What am I missing regarding spincast/retriever? >

What am I missing regarding spincast/retriever?

Community
Bowfishing Everything from carp to gator to gar, from the rivers to the oceans; this is the place to share information and stories about bowfishing.

What am I missing regarding spincast/retriever?

Old 07-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Spike

Default What am I missing regarding spincast/retriever?

Well I got the begginner hand wrap kit, found a place to bowfish and shot some fish, and now I want to upgrade allready. lol Simply want something a little more convenient that wrapping that line around that drum every time.

I have read all the debates on several forums over spincast vs. retriever.

Am I missing something on the spincast, cause it seems even the guys that support them make comments like, "just keep an extra one", "this one lasted such and such times out".

I don't plan on winning any tournaments, and I want to buy something and be done with it.

Is the retriever the logical choice? I notice it is more money, but if you have to replace a spincast every year it would add up fast.

thanks in advance,

CS
Old 07-12-2006, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: What am I missing regarding spincast/retriever?

Good observations.

If you're not going to shoot tournaments, then I wholeheartedly recommend the AMS Retriever.

Mine is still going strong after more than 10 years. You will save money with one in the long run.

There's a finesse to how hard you need to pull on the 'trigger' to reel line in fast. Keep the opening facing the fish and it reels in much easier. After the shot, use that trigger to keep extra line from coming out. These things you'll learn easily, but it won't happen on the first day.

I also recommend the regular retriever over the slotted retriever for regular bowfishing. Use the slotted for sharks and other 'big game'.

Be sure to use safety slides with the retriever. When you get a chance upgrade the line in the retriever to the heavier Muzzy line. (not the 600lb gator line)

Old 07-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I had a dollar for every post on this topic. (here and other sites)

People swear by and at both. I use a spincast usually but here's the math side of the argument...
Retiever reel...$55-65 (slotted reels) 65-75
Arrow with slides...$11

Spincast reel...$20-45
Replacement Line...$? depends on what you use and how much you have to buy.
Reel seat... $20
Arrow...$10
*Replacement arrow 'cuse you forgot to push the button, $10 If it broke the pickup pins on the reel another $20-45 [:@]
Number of times to repeat * depends on your learning curve.

I'll let you add it up for yourself.

That being said, I used a retriever the last time out and kept wishing I had my spincast. Not that there was anything wrong with the retriever, just what I'm used to.
***If you do choose a retriever reel, make sure all your arrows are fitted with safety slides.***
Old 07-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Arrow with slides...$11
Really? I get them with muzzy tips for about $6.

Definitely upgrade a retriever to heavier line. Not for bigger fish, but because the rollers that retrieve the line grab the thicker line better. Retrievers are simple, so less to break, and take a lot of abuse and keep on working. The worst that has happened with mine is the handle bolt worked loose. Since I always carry a multitool, I just had to tighten it back up. On the safety slides, from time to time check the screw holding the stopper. It can work loose as well. Otherwise, have a ball.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

One positive aspect of the spincast is retrieval-speed. You get much faster follow-up shots with a spincast reel because you get your arrow back much faster. Plus, if you shoot a bigger fish, the spincast has a drag to help with fighting fish. Retrievers don't, but with a decent glove and heavier line, you can fight them in well enough.

I have both reels (spincast on my recurve that I usually shoot, and a Retriever on my compound, my backup). I shot the Retriever-compound for years before I got my recurve, and had no complaints or problems. But once I got a spincast setup, that's all I used since. I did mess up my first spincast ( a Shakespeare Synergy) within a year, but I've learned tocheck the release button. I would bump the handle and engage the pins and not know it. And when you shoot that heavy arrow with (in my case) 120-lb. test line, something's gonna give. But, I found Synergys for sale for $15.00, so I actually have 3 for the price I paid for me Retriever.

Retrievers are great reels, and if you get one, you won't be disapointed. Just remember to keep the reel ponted in the direction of the fish, and reelin em in won't be a problem, but I bet once you use a spincast, you may not grab that Retriever for a while.

My 2-cents.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

hit the button twice

Old 07-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good info everybody.

I get paranoid about fogetting to hit the button on my spincasts. If you could watch me fish, you'd laugh. I'm always pushing the thing. I do it every time I nock an arrow, then when I get to where I think I'm going to see fish, then when I see a fish, then after I draw and let down because I didn't get a shot, and every couple of minutes during dead times just to make sure. It's funny.

Also, to check if I pushed it already, I'll pull about an inch of line out to prove the pins are retracted. Then occassionally, I'll turn the handle to reset it, and then push the button again and pull the line.
Keeps me busy on slow days.

If you have a spincast reel that starts to fail, make sure you tug on the line the way I suggested above. Once you start having trouble, the reel can sound like it retracted the pins, but there will still be some heavy drag/snagging to the line and it will mess up your shot. If it sticks, push the button again. If it STILL sticks, crank the handle and hit the button again. That usually does the trick.

Doing this, I've managed to keep a troublesome Synergy running for months, but it is relegated to backup status for anything but casual shooting on my own.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

Don't forget - you can also get parts for the Retriever Reel and repair it. You can get them from AMS direct or places like Sully's. I just replaced the main rubber wheel and the bottle cap on mine. Pretty easy to do. I also got to look inside the whole thing and found it is very simple and the parts are very sturdy.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:43 AM

OK...here we go...

Retrievers definitely the most reliable reel. Under no circumstances would I use anything other than fast flight line in them (400 lb). IMO, the most important drawback to them is that you cannot reel in a big fish, but have to pull it in by hand.

Spincasts let you fight in the fish (this is the fishing part of bowfishing after all). Personnally, I stand fast that the paranoia about not pushing the button is unfounded. Set your drag and if you insist on slides, the arrow will still go out a ways and not hurt anything. Absolute worst case is that the line will snap and you loose the arrow. 200 lb fast flight is not going to snap back at you if you forget the button. It is a non-elastic material and cannot hold up to a sudden load force. For me, if I forget the button, then I cannot shoot my arrow. I probably stick my index finger on my bow hand out unconsciously once every 30 seconds to push the button.

Fishhunter, where in the world are you getting Muzzy arrows with slides for $6???
Old 07-19-2006, 04:44 AM

I bought the Slotted Retriever I am using back in 1990. I have rebuilt it through the years, but I have shot tons of huge rays, and carp with it. One of the nice things with them is being able to carry about every part there is on the reel, and in a few seconds having the reel back to 100%.