Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

New Retriever

Old 12-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Retriever

Hey, I just got a new Golden Retriever pup. He is around 6-7 weeks old. I wanna get him to hunt quail and maybe pheasents. Should I start with him now ??? And if so, I really need help and tips on training him.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Retriever

Xenia,
Good luck with your upcoming adventure. Training dogs can be both exciting and frustrating. For now you start obedience, but NO force. You only teach by praise at this point. Depending on what you want to do, I tought my dog "whoa" and "come" first. Buy a book or a video, it'll help you get started. The Wolter's series is very good.

And 2 tips that you never do. Never chase the dog, and never play tug-a-war. It'll save you the headache later.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

Start them young but not that young. Wait a couple of weeks just let em be a puppy for now then move on to some simple and short stuff. Maybe give hin a feather to play with.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

Your in for a treat. We have a goldie and it is very smart but was very very stubborn for the first five years. Apparently, thats a natural trait. After five years the dog seems like a totally different dog. Really mellowed out.